Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Book I Covet: Flawless by Lara Chapman

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 with
Why I covet this book: This is just my kind of contemporary YA book: high school drama, friendship, a boy, love... happy sigh

Super excited about this book! I've never read a modern retelling of the Cyrano de Bergerac (a story I've always loved--it's such a fun plot). I'm eager to see what the author will do with it.

Like the cover too--the more I look at it, the more it grows on me.


flawlessFlawless by Lara Chapman (out May 2011)
Sarah Burke is just about perfect. She's got killer blue eyes, gorgeous blond hair, and impeccable grades. There's just one tiny—all right, enormous—flaw: her nose. But even that's not so bad. Sarah's got the best best friend and big goals for print journalism fame.

On the first day of senior year, Rock Conway walks into her journalism class and, well, rocks her world. Problem is, her best friend, Kristen, falls for him too. And when Rock and Kristen stand together, it's like Barbie and Ken come to life. So when Kristen begs Sarah to help her nab Rock, Sarah does the only thing a best friend can do—she agrees. For someone so smart, what was she thinking?

This hip retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac is filled with hilariously misguided matchmaking, sweet romance, and a gentle reminder that we should all embrace our flaws.


For more info about the Flawless, visit the author's website and Goodreads. And don't forget to add it to your wishlist!



"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

11 comments:

  1. I love Cyrano stories. They are so much fun. And that cover is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about these books! Thanks for the heads up! However, I love that cover, it sounds amazing! Here's mine:
    http://thebucketlist-gn.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-girl-in-steel.html
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds good - funny. I love funny books.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love retellings and this one sounds so good so am adding it to my wishlist too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting (:

    This one sounds cute and fun, I'll add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have added this to my tbr this sounds like it will be a fun read

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds really great! Going on my TBR list. :) I love finding new books!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find - this one sounds like a lot of fun. Love retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!!!! This is MY BOOK you're talking about! How exciting to read your sweet thoughts about FLAWLESS. I have always loved the Cyrano story and thought it would be a great premise for a contemporary YA. I loved every single second of writing it. I hope everyone here gets a chance to read it!

    Hop over to my website at www.larachapman.com and register with me on the "Contact Me" page so I can keep you updated and get your name in the pot for some release day drawings!

    Thanks again, everyone!

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I highly recommend this book! I'm halfway through it. (I'm a writing buddy of Lara's, which means I have an advanced copy in my hot little hands.) Why halfway? Because my mother stole it from me. Let me explain... I'm 47. ;) Anyway, I have it back now, and I'm not sharing it any more. Nope. It's mine.

    It's just wonderful, and I have to say I'm impressed with what Lara did with the characters. There are no cliches. No obvious hit-you-over-the-head stereotypes.

    Let me give you an example: Our lovely protagonist with the nose "problem" is savvy and confident. Her problem is that she has done what we all "say" we want kids to do: accept themselves and not base everything on looks. She's not some wallflower who spends every moment feeling ugly. She's witty and clever and really fabulous.

    Okay, that's all you're getting from me. You'll just have to read for yourself. The writing is lovely, the story a delight, the characters are worth spending time with and will make you smile.

    Happy sigh, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.