Michelle's Review: Delirium by Lauren Oliver

delirium Trade Paperback: 440 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen

Release Date: Feb. 1, 2011 (today!)
ISBN:
9780061726828
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Amazon)

Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love - the deliria - blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Michelle's Review:
Delirium is set in a futuristic United States where love is seen as a disease. When its citizens turn 18 years old, they undergo a surgery that eradicates love so that they will live a life free of its pains, troubles and stresses. Lena's mother succumbed to the disease amor deliria nervosa (aka love) when she was very young and eventually committed suicide leaving behind Lena and her sister Rachel. Lena didn't want to end up like her mom and had been counting the days until she will get her operation and be cured from the disease just like her sister. Then, about three months before her operation she meets and is inevitably drawn to Alex who is unlike anyone she had ever met. Soon good girl Lena is breaking the rules and questioning everything she had ever believed in.

I am not going to go into what the book is about any deeper because it'll be a bit spoiler-y (but if you want to know more see Goodreads for other reviews) and I kind of suck at reiterating the plot but I very much enjoyed Delirium. I really liked Lena, our first person narrator, who really grew and pretty much did a one eighty by end of the book. She started meek, obedient and doing everything to please her aunt. It was great watching her come to her own, become more confident and stronger. As for Alex, I felt for and fell in love with him along with Lena. He's a wonderful hero--nice, steady, strong and perfect for her. Sigh. You root for these two to find a way to be together and have their happily ever after. Besides Lena and Alex, another character I liked was Lena's best friend Hana. I loved their friendship; Hana was the kind of best friend you want for your heroine. She was there for Lena and when Alex came in the picture, she was there for him too and wasn't putting doubts or causing more problems for them. I'm usually annoyed with the "best friend" character in young adult novels but Hana wasn't annoying. One of my favorite scenes was actually one with Lena and Hana when Lena was trying to tell her goodbye almost near the end of the book. It almost made me cry.

Delirium was my first book by Lauren Oliver and I'm very impressed (I am definitely picking up her other title Before I Fall very soon). I admit there were some slow parts in the first half of the book and I wasn't completely sold on the whole no more love thing (I just went with it and enjoyed it all the more when I did) but ultimately it's a fantastic, thought-provoking, emotional read. I thought the writing was really good, very lyrical. It took me a while to finish it because I was (and still am) suffering from an untimely reading slump but when I did--well, it's one of those books that after turning that last page you just have to lay still for a bit and absorb and reflect on what you just read. This book definitely makes you think, it puts you in Lena's shoes and feel her fears, doubts, confusion and the wonder and euphoria she felt as she fell in love. This book was filled with wonderful descriptions with many quotable passages. The next book in the series cannot come soon enough. There were many unanswered questions and while the ending wasn't one of those "I feel cheated" type of cliffhangers, it is a cliffhanger and a bittersweet one at that. 4.5 out of 5 stars

7 comments

  1. It was an awesome book- I got caught up in things right along with Lena.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Tasha, I'm so looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review sweets, I'm so anxious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oliver is really a talent, and while I loved Before I Fall, I was blown away by Delirium. I cannot wait to read more from this author. I hope she writes fast! Great review, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review! I thought about this book for days after finishing reading it. You're definitely right about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm expecting this book to come in the mail this week...even more anxious for it to arrive now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.