Monday, January 3, 2011

astitchbeforedying ARC: 231 pages
Publisher: Point

Release Date: Jan. 1, 2011
ISBN:
9780545240772
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn’t interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be — especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
Lizzie is happy about her friend’s burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles’s friend, Will Darcy, who’s snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn’t seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it’s because her family doesn’t have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk — so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?
Will Lizzie’s pride and Will’s prejudice keep them apart? Or are they a prom couple in the making? Whatever the result, Elizabeth Eulberg, author of The Lonely Hearts Club, has concocted a very funny, completely stylish delight for any season — prom or otherwise.

Michelle's Review:
Lizzie Bennet was a scholarship student in Longbourn Academy, a posh prep school where the students were more than unwelcoming, they are right down hostile and sometimes cruel to those less affluent than themselves. The school would've been pure torture if it wasn't for Jane, her best friend and roommate, and the fact that Longbourne was Lizzie's (she plays the piano) ticket to Julliard. When Lizzie met Charles Bingley and his best friend Will Darcy, she took an immediate dislike to Darcy who was seemingly haughty and arrogant. But Lizzie couldn't stop thinking about Darcy anyway and was very attracted to him despite herself.

I was really excited for Prom and Prejudice because Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice is one of my all-time favorite novels and I was excited to see how Elizabeth Eulberg will modernize it. I had high expectations and I am happy to say I quite enjoyed this book. I liked the prep school setting and it was really fun reading the author's spin on Lizzie, Darcy, Jane, Bingley, Wickham and Collins. Lizzie was independent, strong and as stubborn as the original and I really liked that she has a passion--playing the piano. Darcy was adorable and not nearly as arrogant or full of pride as the original and I fell for him along with Lizzie. However, I thought that Lizzie and Darcy were lacking that tension between them. Also, because the author tried to keep some of the original speech and dialogue between the characters, sometimes the dialogue sounded off. The story was predictable but that's to be expected as the author stayed close to the original plot--there were quite a few scenes that you recognize from the original and those I appreciated. I even found myself laughing in some parts. Overall, I thought Elizabeth Eulberg did a great job with this modern retelling and I think fans of Pride and Prejudice will enjoy this quick read. It's fun, light and romantic. 4 out of 5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Ooh great review! I've been hearing really great things about this one so I'm glad you enjoyed it to. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't enjoyed Eulberg's writing previously, but I like the story of this one. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to reading this one and her other one that Ames loved. The road trip one. I looked for this at the bookstore this past weekend but I didn't see it, shucks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to your review of this books since I first saw it mentioned here. While I'm not the biggest Jane Austen fan the book still sounds like a fun read and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited about this one for all the same reasons you were excited about this one. I'm glad to see some positive reviews coming about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! This sounds like a very fn read! I definitely need light right now, so I might pick it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I have seen this as a much anticipated read, and after reading your review I am thinking I need to read it too. I love seeing how authors take and modernize old stories, but to date have not read any retelling except fairy tales. This, however, is going to change. Thanks Michelle for a terrific review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.