Thursday, January 6, 2011

otherwordsforlove ARC: 354 pages
Publisher: Random House

Release Date: January 11, 2011
ISBN:
978-0385739016
Source of my copy: Publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When an unexpected inheritance enables Ari to transfer to an elite Manhattan prep school, she makes a wealthy new friend, Leigh. Leigh introduces Ari to the glamorous side of New York—and to her gorgeous cousin, Blake. Ari doesn't think she stands a chance, but amazingly, Blake asks her out. As their romance heats up, they find themselves involved in an intense, consuming relationship. Ari's family worries that she is losing touch with the important things in life, like family, hard work, and planning for the future. When misfortune befalls Blake's family, he pulls away, and Ari's world drains of color. As she struggles to get over the breakup, Ari must finally ask herself: were their feelings true love . . . or something else?


Leslie's Review:
Shy and quiet Ari has always felt invisible at her Brooklyn high school and out-shined by her best friend Summer. But when Ari received an unexpected inheritance, she transfers to an elite Manhattan prep school and befriends wealthy student, Leigh. Leigh introduced Ari to the glamorous New York lifestyle as well as her handsome cousin Blake. She thought she has no chance with him but surprisingly he asked her out. Soon Ari's life was filled with love and excitement she hasn't experienced in a long time--until Blake pulls away when misfortune strikes his family. As she tried to recover from the breakup, Ari began to doubt if what they had was true love.

Other Words for Love was enjoyable and fantastic. Every time I picked it up, I would always find myself so sucked-in by Ari and her story. By the time I had to stop reading, it took me awhile to come back to reality. I think it was because the plot and characters were to vivid to me, especially because I could really relate to Ari. The book was in first person and I really got to know her. She and I were so similar--the quiet personality, the feelings of invisibility, and how she felt out-shined by her friend. The thing that I loved overall, though was her growth throughout the book. She became a wiser and a more confident adult and I rooted for her. The other characters in the book were also well-developed. My favorite was Leigh who a better friend to Ari than Summer was.

As for the bittersweet ending, I wasn't really satisfied with it at first because I expected something else. But as I thought about it more I realized that it was for the best because in life not everything ends in a happily ever and it was a great conclusion to the book nonetheless. Overall, I thought Other Words for Love a wonderful and well-written contemporary YA novel with a plot that kept my attention and great characters. I really liked this book and I recommend this to everyone who loves contemporary YA and stories about first-loves. 4 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I am really glad you liked this book because I have been wanting to read it since I saw it several months ago on a WoW.

    I love how easily you related to the MC and am even happier that she grows so much over the course of the book. I also loved how the book made it was able to transport you from reality so completely.

    Thanks for a terrific review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of skipped the ending of this post because I'm in the midst of reading this book now, but so far I really am enjoying it! I really like Ari as a main character and I can totally relate to her, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.