Thursday, January 27, 2011

Leslie's Review: Blue by Lou Aronica

Thursday, January 27, 2011 with
laronica ARC: 394 pages
Publisher: The Fiction Studio

Release Date: January 8, 2011
ISBN:
978-1936558001
Source of my copy: author
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Chris Astor is a man in his early forties who is going through the toughest stretch of his life. Becky is Chris's fourteen-year-old daughter, a girl who overcame enormous challenges to become a vibrant, vital young woman - and now faces her greatest obstacle yet. Miea is the young queen of a fantasy land that Becky and Chris created when Becky was little, a fantasy land that has developed a life of its own and now finds itself in terrible, maybe fatal trouble. Together, Chris, Becky, and Miea need to uncover a secret. The secret to why their worlds have joined at this moment. The secret to their purpose. The secret to the future. It is a secret that, when discovered, will redefine imagination for all of them. Blue is a novel of trial and hope, invention and rediscovery. It might very well take you someplace you never knew existed.


Leslie's Review:
If you want to be whisked away to a fantasy land, you should read Blue. I really loved the fantasy land, Tamarisk, that I wish I could go there myself with Chris and Becky. Tamarisk is a make-believe land that Becky and her dad, Chris, made up when Becky was younger. But reality and fantasy collided when Tamarisk developed a life of it's own. But there is something terribly wrong going on and Miea, the queen of Tamarisk, wants to save her dying land.

I really liked how Tamarisk played a part in bringing the characters in the book together. I think, because of Tamarisk, Chris's relationship with his family was strengthened once again after all the years they haven't been so close. I loved seeing Becky and Chris's father-daughter relationship evolve and improve and Chris and Polly (his ex-wife) also got closer. It was enchanting to read about Becky and Miea become such close friends that they're practically sisters. I thought the author did a great job bringing all the characters together. The story is told through Chris, Becky and Miea's perspective and I thought they were all well-developed and each of them had their own voice and personality and struggles. Out of all the characters, though, I really admired Becky. I really related with her since we were both the same age and I liked her vibrant and hopeful personality.

It took me awhile to finish this book because of my hectic schedule and because the book was pretty thick and there were some slow parts. But when I finally finished it I was blown away. This book was a fantastical read with great imagination, well-developed characters and beautiful world building. It's also emotional, moving and will lift your spirits in its hopefulness. Though not quite a teen or an adult book, I recommend it especially to those who love a good fantasy novel. 4 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. The cover totally would have turned me off too. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got into this one about halfway, when the chracters meant more to me. I agree very vivid fantasy!
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is next on my review list too! Nice review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, you certain have me sold on Blue being a book that I need to read. I love the idea of fantasy meeting reality and the father daughter relationships sounds fascinating. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.