Monday, November 29, 2010

sambrose Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Pocket Books
Language: English
ISBN13:
978-1439181294
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Amazon)
Her ex stole the jewels, but this bad boy just stole her heart...
After ditching the ruthless Banner Westfield, aka “the world’s worst husband,” sexy and fiercely guarded Janet Aims thinks the least she deserves for surviving attempted murder is a chance to cash in on her losses. Step one is hocking the wedding ring and ridiculously tacky necklace given to her by her conniving ex.
But just when Janet thinks she’s buried the past, the police claim that the necklace is part of the stolen Pellinni Jewel collection. Which means that even prison can’t stop Banner from dumping her smack in the middle of his evil schemes again.
With Colombian gangsters and jewel thieves hot on her trail, Janet has no choice but to turn to smoldering ex-con Rocky Hernandez, the one man who can make her fragile heart pound. Partnering up with a certified hottie who knows the ins and outs of Detroit’s seedy underbelly as well as he does a woman’s body might have its perks if Janet’s life—and her heart—weren’t on the line...


Michelle's Review:
With all the craziness caused by her ex-husband (who was the villain in the author's previous book Lie to Me) behind her, Janet Aims finally had her life back on track. She goes and sells her wedding ring and a really tacky necklace he ex gave her as a gift when she found out that the necklace was actually part of a priceless Pellini Jewel collection stolen from a museum hundreds of years old. Jewel thieves, thinking that she had the rest of the jewel collection and wanting it for their own, were suddenly after her and her life goes topsy-turvy again. Even with her ex-husband behind bars, he still managed to mess up Janet's life! The only one who could help her was sexy bad boy Rocky Hernandez, an ex-jewel thief and a man she can't help feeling attracted to.

This book was my first romance after two months of reading young adult and I've forgotten how fun light, romantic comedy romances were. This book was a fun, light read with a great heroine and hero and many secondary that were just as fleshed out as the main characters. Janet had a snobbish rich girl vibe to her in the first few pages and I was afraid I wasn't going to like her but after the first chapter she wasn't snobbish at all. I liked Janet--she's smart, tough and with just the right amount of stubborness. As for Rocky, he was equally likable and definitely hot. He was protective and a nice guy beneath his bad boy front and I can easily understand why Janet was attracted to him despite her trust issues concerning men. I liked that they already had a "thing" before the book began and this book was all about them finally doing something about their mutual attraction. There was great chemistry between Janet and Rocky.

Thieves Like Us is a sequel after Starr Ambrose's Lie to Me and I think it's a much more satisfying read for those who already know the two main characters and the cast of secondary characters from the previous book. However, it can be read as a standalone and I was able to enjoy it without reading LtM. There were a few humorous parts and I read through this book with a smile on my face; it was just a really fun and easy read. If you like light romances with a bit of suspense, look no further than Thieves Like Us. 4 out of 5 stars

**This book comes out in stores on November 30, 2010.**

2 comments:

  1. I've not read a light romance for simply too long! maybe this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of another book that I read, I think by Jennifer Crusie, which I enjoyed. I think I might give it a try, though first I'd have to read Lie To Me since I always have to start at the beginning of a series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.