Michelle's Review: Annexed by Sharon Dogar

annexedcover Hardcover: 352 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

Language: English
ISBN:
978-0547501956
Source of my copy: FSB Media
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Everyone knows about Anne Frank and her life hidden in the secret annex – but what about the boy who was also trapped there with her?
In this powerful and gripping novel, Sharon Dogar explores what this might have been like from Peter’s point of view. What was it like to be forced into hiding with Anne Frank, first to hate her and then to find yourself falling in love with her? Especially with your parents and her parents all watching almost everything you do together. To know you’re being written about in Anne’s diary, day after day? What’s it like to start questioning your religion, wondering why simply being Jewish inspires such hatred and persecution? Or to just sit and wait and watch while others die, and wish you were fighting.
As Peter and Anne become closer and closer in their confined quarters, how can they make sense of what they see happening around them?
Anne’s diary ends on August 4, 1944, but Peter’s story takes us on, beyond their betrayal and into the Nazi death camps. He details with accuracy, clarity and compassion the reality of day to day survival in Auschwitz – and ultimately the horrific fates of the Annex’s occupants.


Michelle's Review:
Before I begin my "review," I want to begin by letting you know that Annexed is a "
did not finish" NOT because it's a bad book. Far from it--I wouldn't even be featuring it here on the blog if it's bad. I will explain: I made it halfway and the part I read, I thought it well-written and the author captured the mood, the frustration, the fear and the helplessness the occupants of the hidden annex must have felt while they were hiding from the Nazis, especially Peter who was telling the story in first person. While reading the novel, it made me want to pick up The Diary of Anne Frank again for an overdue re-reading of it. I think this book would be a great supplemental read to any lesson on The Diary of Anne Frank and the Holocaust. However, it was very slow going and it wasn't keeping my attention long. I would pick it up and after a few pages I would put it down again with no desire to pick it up. Also, what a bit off for me was that the Anne Frank in this book (I guess through Peter's eyes) was childish and cheeky and different from the Anne Frank of The Diary of. But what I understand from the author was that the Anne Frank we "know" from the diary was different from the Anne Frank of real-life. Hmm...

Anyway, after 2 weeks and three books read-in-between later, I finally decided to stop and rate this book a DNF. It's a hard decision to make because I'm a little OCD when it comes to finishing books but unfortunately these days my reading time is very precious. With a shelf full of books I still need to read and review I just don't have the luxury to keep plodding through a book week after week. I might pick it up again in the future but right now I am giving it a DNF.

See reviews for Annexed on Goodreads or Amazon or another blog to decide whether this book is worth checking out.

6 comments

  1. I understand about wanting to finish books, I have the same problem. Great review!
    marlenebreakfield(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do appreciate your honesty! Not all books are finishable (I just made a word haha) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It happens. As much as we want to "love" every book, not every book is for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Diary of Anne Frank when I was in school. Interesting to know that there is another version as to what happened while they were in hiding. I'm not sure if I could attempt to read this book, as I also have a hard time not finishing a book. Outlander was my favorite book and looked forward to the sequels. Unfortunately they weren't as good and it killed me to put them down a quarter of the way through. Kept hoping it would pick up, but never did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree. I love 'The Diary of Anne Frank' so I thought this would be a great book too and I'd always wanted to know more about Peter, but no. I finished it but I was so bored when reading it.

    Here's my review of it: http://rebecca-books.blogspot.com/2011/06/annexed-sharon-dogar.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.