Leslie's Review: Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

beautifuldarknesscover ARC: 504 pages
Publisher: Little Brown

Language: English
ISBN:
9780316077057
Source of my copy: publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.
Sometimes life-ending.
Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.


Leslie's Review:
Ethan Wate has always thought that Gatlin is a boring town where nothing really happens--until he met Lena. Lena Duchannes opened his eyes to a hidden Gatlin that was there all along. Now the two of them must face the darker side of Gatlin and the deadly secrets that test their relationship. Lena is in great danger and only Ethan can save her. As he travels deeper underground in the Tunnels, searching for answers and the truth, he experiences visions only he can see but the only thing that can save her.

Beautiful Darkness was much better than its first book, Beautiful Creatures. Its plot was unpredictable, thrilling, and fantastic. I liked how it had more action and twists than the first, that it kept me turning the page and wanting to find out more. However, it did take me awhile to finish. Besides the fact that I've been extremely busy lately with school and marching band, the middle was dragged a bit. I would start reading and after 20-30 pages or so, I would skim ahead because I wanted something to happen already. But then the action did picked up eventually and I was hooked in the story again at the latter part of the book. I also liked how this book introduced new interesting characters and revealed some shocking secrets--it kept things exciting and me reading.

All I can say is that Beautiful Darkness is a great sequel and definitely worth reading, especially if you enjoyed Beautiful Creatures, the first book in the series. Well, even if you're on the fence about Beautiful Creatures, you should check this book out anyway because I thought it was better. I can't wait for the next one in the series. 4 out of 5 stars

5 comments

  1. Terrific review, Leslie. I have yet to read Beautiful Creatures, but am going to try to get to it soon, so I can get this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been on the fence about reading Beautiful Creatures and Beautiful Darkness, I just wasn't sure I'd enjoy them. Well, I'm still not sure, but I think I will give them a try. Thank you for the review.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to hear that the 2nd book in a series is even better than the first.

    alterlisa AT yahoo DOT com
    http://lisaslovesbooksofcourse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing a great review. I recently got book one so was hoping to hear good things about the series.

    Pam S
    pams00 @ aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read this series, it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.