Leslie's Review: The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball by Risa Green

rgreen ARC: 316 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Language: English
ISBN:
9781402241062
Source of my copy: Publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When Erin Channing's favorite aunt dies, Erin is bequeathed a pink crystal ball and a set of weird instructions. Granted, Aunt Kiki (aka Aunt Kooky) always lived "outside the box." But now Erin and her two best friends are convinced that the pink crystal ball holds the key to their future-or at least the key to getting dates...





Leslie's Review
:
Erin is a rational, ordinary girl who wishes to be more interesting--and her Aunt Kiki just might know how. When Erin's aunt passes away, she leaves her with a pink crystal ball with mystical powers and five cryptic instructions. Erin thinks it's a total joke but with the help of her two best friends, Samantha and Lindsay, the girls become convinced that the ball might have the key to their destiny. Along the way, Erin learns that not everything in life is laid out in neat little boxes--sometimes you need to look beyond.

The plot of this book was sort of cliche, making it an easy read. It's your typical heroine with a boring life, asking for some excitement. Then one day, she finds something mythical, in this case a magic crystal ball, that messes up her ordinary lifestyle but at the same time making her life exciting. Despite the plot, the writing was pretty good as I liked the sarcastic teenage-girl narration that brought some humor into the book. However, I was hoping for something a little bit more and a bit different from the book. I'm not really sure but there's something missing from it that I can't explain. Hmm...

The cliche heroine had some significance over me--Erin
is me. So, as cliche as this book may be, I have to say, I related well with Erin. Sometimes I, too, wish that my life was interesting. Reading this book brightened me up and made me laugh a couple of times as a envisioned myself in the book as Erin. Even Erin's friends reminded me of some of my friends which made it all the better.

Overall, The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball is an easy yet predictable middle-grade read with good writing.
3 out of 5 stars

6 comments

  1. This sounds cute, but not really extraordinary...either way, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cute but not too original. Nice honest review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this book. I remember owning a Magic 8 Ball when it first came out (it was black not pink) sadly no mystical powers either.

    I would put this book into a similar category as Karma Club and Karma Bites, so your comment about cliches is well taken, but I did think the crystal ball aspect was fun.

    Great review Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a cute mindless read. WE need these books in bewteen the heavy ones. Thanks girls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to pass along the Cherry on Top award

    You can Grab it from my blog

    http://undomesticated-productsonline.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.