The OFFICIAL DUFF Blog Tour: Q&A with author Kody Keplinger

Today, we have the honor of having debut young adult author Kody Keplinger on our blog to chat with us. Her debut release is the totally AH-mazing and my newest favorite contemporary YA novel THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend). Please join us in welcoming her.

Hi Kody! What are five frivolous things you cannot live without?
Oh, fun question! Definitely my laptop, my collection of converse tennis shoes (I have 11 pairs now), my pink fleece blanket with the skull on it, my peace sign charm necklace, and my I ♥ NY hoodie.

Who was the hardest character to write? Why?
Probably Wesley – not so much because he was “hard” to write as “surprising.” I meant Wesley to be a much different character originally. But his character took a turn in a different direction – a turn that shocked me but ended up making him a much better character. I learned about him at the same time as Bianca, and wow, that was interesting. The hardest part, though, was trying to find the balance between arrogant playboy and swoon-worthy love interest. Definitely a tight rope!

Speaking of Wesley [swoon-y sigh], well... the boys in Bianca's life--Wesley, Toby and Jake--any of them based on any real-life person?
Not really. Unfortunately, I never had a Wesley. *sigh*
However, I mention in the book that Toby wears a blazer with normal clothes? Well, that is actually something one of my best guy friends in high school did. While the teachers got to dress casual on Fridays, he decided he’d dress up, so he wore a blazer – sometimes just with jeans – to school. I thought it was kind of adorable, so I made Toby wear blazers. Aside from that, none of them are based on people I knew. Though I do kind of wish I knew a Toby – he’d be fun to talk politics with.

jlondon If you could trade places with one of the characters in The Duff for one day, who would you choose and why?
Bianca.
I’m super jealous that she gets to kiss Wesley. I would love to be in her shoes just for a day.

Three random facts about Bianca.
Her favorite color is lime green.
She’s a vegetarian.
She owns all of the Back to the Future movies because, when she was little, she had a crush on Michael J. Fox.

Three random facts about Wesley.
His favorite band is Jack’s Mannequin. (That’s the “piano rock” Bianca references in the book the first time she goes to his house.)
James Bond is his idol.
He actually has a higher GPA than Bianca does, and his best subject is History.

Thank you so much for stopping by our blog and answering our questions Kody!

Everyone, you should all check out Kody's Blog--all this week she is featuring one of the five of the main characters of The Duff with a contest this coming Friday. You will need to read all the character profiles as they will be very important in the giveaway.

Check out my review of The Duff HERE--it is out in stores so don't forget to pick up your copy!

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.