Michelle's Review: When Blood Calls by J.K. Beck

Don't forget to enter to win an ARC copy of this book! Click HERE to enter.

jkbeck Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Bantam
Language: English
ISBN13:
9780440245773
Source of my copy: from the author
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Sara Constantine is one of the country’s most tenacious prosecuting attorneys—and she’s just secured a well-earned promotion. At first she’s thrilled. Then she finds out her new job involves prosecuting vampires and werewolves. And nothing prepares Sara for the shock she receives when she meets the first defendant she’ll be trying to put away: Lucius Dragos, the sexy stranger with whom she recently shared an explosive night of ecstasy.
When Lucius Dragos kisses the beautiful woman sitting next to him at the bar, he’s only hoping to blend into the crowd and avoid the perceptive gaze of the man he’s following…and planning to kill. But what starts as a simple kiss to secure his cover ignites into a fierce hunger that leads to an all-consuming passion. Charged with murder, Luke knows Sara will do whatever it takes to see him locked away—unless he can convince her that he’s not the monster she thinks he is. And that might mean making the greatest sacrifice a vampire can make.


Michelle's Review:
The first time I heard about When Blood Calls and The Shadow Keepers series many months ago, I knew I wanted to read it. The series was being marketed as a "dark, edgy" paranormal romance and that's just how I like my paranormal romances... and I thought this book delivered!

Sara Constantine was an attorney and she just was just promoted to a very secretive division of Homeland Security--one that deals with the paranormal population living unbeknownst to the human population. Sara was suddenly thrust in a world where vampires, werewolves, demons and other creatures of the night exist and what was worst was that her first high profile case puts her face to face with sexy Lucius Dragos, the man she shared an explosive one night of passion with. She will come to learn that Luke, the man she must now put away for murdering an important judge, is a vampire.

I really liked tough, strong-willed Sara. After witnessing a very traumatic incident at a very young age, she grew up seeing the world in black and white and determined to serve justice to criminals. But her world was rocked by Luke and her undeniable attraction to him, forcing her to reexamine her principles--Sara's inner struggle was the most interesting part of the book for me. As for Luke, he is tall, dark and sexy and he finds that only Sara can tame and soothe his inner daemon. I really liked them together and I thought the chemistry between them is great and I was rooting for these two all throughout the book. I thought the Shadow Keepers world of Ms. Beck created was outstanding and I really liked the diverse paranormal creatures that populate it. The world building was one my favorite aspect of this book but I have to admit that it, and the introduction of the other characters, did take away a bit of the buildup of Luke and Sara's relationship and romance (which is typical in the first book of series). However, the secondary characters were very interesting in their own right and I can't wait to revisit them in the next book. As for the mystery part of the book, there are plenty twists and turns to entertain a reader and there was a plot twist in the end that I didn't see coming.

If you are looking for a wonderfully written, dark paranormal romance with set in an intriguing world of diverse paranormal creatures, When Blood Calls and the Shadow Keepers series is definitely worth checking out! I am very excited to read the next book in the series, When Pleasure Rules, and jump back into the world Ms. Beck created. 4 out of 5 stars

2 comments

  1. Wow this one sounds really hot and steamy. I think I would actually like this romance. Great review too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.