Michelle's Review: Firelight by Sophie Jordan

sjordan ARC: 336 pages
Publisher: Harper Teen
Language: English
ISBN:
978-0061935084
Source of my copy: from the publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki—the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda’s rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can’t resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she’s risking not only her life but the draki’s most closely guarded secret.



Michelle's Review:
When I began reading the first few chapters of Firelight, I was worried it's going to be another Twilight-esque novel. Nowadays, it seems like all the young adult paranormals that are being released have the same plot devices as Twilight. Who can blame me for expecting the same tired formula that is really getting very tedious. I admit that Firelight is slightly reminiscent of Twilight but I literally couldn't stop reading once I started and quickly devoured it. This book is fast-paced with plenty of action, drama and forbidden romance--all the elements for a very addicting read.

The first thing that drew me to this book was the whole dragon thing--something I don't see used in many young adult paranormals. The whole draki/dragon mythology was interesting and I enjoyed the world building aspect of the book but the plot line is hardly original. However, the way the author told the story was fantastic! The story and the characters sucked me in and I had to keep reading because I just had to know what will happen next.

I thought Jacinda was a very likable character. You feel for her because she is being forced by her family to kill off her draki side for the sake of safety. But Jacinda knows that if she abandons her draki, she will be destroying an important part of her self. She is smart and sensible and other than her constant back and forth "I like Will, he keeps my draki alive" and "no I couldn't like him, he hunts my kind" that got a little repetitive, I have no issues with her. I did have some issues with Jacinda's mom and sister, Tamra. I didn't like the way they treated Jacinda for most of the book and how they were forcing her to just give up who she is. They did get better towards the end but I'm still not sure of them. As for Will, he is definitely a swoon-worthy, nice-guy hero. I love the connection and chemistry he had with Jacinda. The scenes with them together were great and made my romantic heart flutter.

The cliffhanger ending just about killed me and I am eagerly awaiting the next installment. The author definitely penned an excellent start to a very addicting series. I one-hundred-percent enjoyed it. I definitely recommend Firelight--if you're a YA paranormal fan in search of something other than the usual vampire and werewolf fare, this is your book. 4.25 out of 5 stars


Warning: This review is a bit disorganized and haphazard and I'm not sure I'm making sense or explaining myself well. Blame the late hour, my lack of sleep and tired eyes. I will most probably edit sometime tomorrow but not before it's scheduled to publish on the blog.

2 comments

  1. I sooooo want to read this one. Love the cover.... Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.