Friday, September 24, 2010

mcooper ARC: 213 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Jabberwocky
Language: English
ISBN:
9781402239991
Source of my copy: Publisher
Synopsis (from Amazon)

Jason Steed is looking for a place to call home. He finds what he's looking for in the Sea Cadets-an elite group of British youngsters being groomed for lifelong service in the military. But when a routine training exercise goes awry, Jason finds himself in the middle of a secret mission. The future of the world hangs in the balance...and Jason might be the only one who can save it.



Leslie's Review:
I wasn't sure what to make of this book when first begun because it's a "boy" book but I ended up really loving it anyway. Fledgling was fast-paced, intense, action-packed and oh so good! I think this book is perfect for middle graders, most especially boys, and those that don't read much. I think they'll love the action, excitement and the fearless main character, Jason Steed, just as I did.

Jason Steed is an eleven-year-old boy that was amazingly talented and courageous. With no mom and a dad in the military, Jason can get pretty lonely. But ever since he was five, he has found comfort in doing martial arts. Now, Jason has joined the Sea Cadets--an elite group of young British boys being trained to be in the military. One day when a training exercise goes bad, Jason escapes from the destruction and finds himself part of an important mission. If he succeeds, he will prevent a nuclear war!

Jason is a very likable hero. One of the highlights of the book is
Jason's relationship with his best friend, Scott. Scott was the clever and intelligent one and his character complemented Jason's character. There is also a little romance in this book between Catherine and Jason, which was one of the cutest and sweetest I've ever read about. I loved reading about them falling for each other because it reminded me of my first crush. This book is all about courage and sacrifice and the underlying message was to me was that you can accomplish anything you want if you just put your mind to it. I love that despite all the action, there were some heartbreaking and moving scenes that almost made me cry. I love that it has a balance between all the action scenes and emotional scenes. Jason is now one of my favorite heroes.

This was one of the best middle-grade books I've ever read. It can be enjoyed by both boys who are looking for
an eleven-year-old hero that can kick butt and girls who like a cute romance in their reads. 5 out of 5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Middle Grade can be so hard to relate to sometimes, but this sounds awesome! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this one on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, I enjoyed Fledging too and have already placed it in my classroom where my guys are enjoying all the action. I hope Cooper writes another one in this series. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This indeed sounds like a book for boys, but a really great one. I love action, I am addicted to it, so it sounds good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one, but you make it sound so great! Thanks for the review.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read the book on Kindle, AMAZING story, thanks for the review I will look at your other reviews, yes I did take the link from your site to Amazon, :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you after reading your review I bought it on Kindle and loved it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.