Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why I covet this book: I usually avoid reading books with topics like date rape. Such topics make me uncomfortable but sometimes it's good to read out of your comfort zone. Besides, I'm on a YA contemporary kick and this books sounds like a very good read.

dwhitneyThe Mockingbirds [blurb taken from Goodreads]
Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.

This book comes out on November 2, 2010. For more info visit Daisy Whitney's website.

************

Why I covet this book: I really enjoyed the first book in the series, The Body Finder and I can't wait to read about Violet and Jay again--they are one of my favorite YA couples.

kdertingDesires of the Dead (Body Finder, #2) [blurb taken from HarperCollins Catalogs; cover art may not be final]
ALA Booklist described The Body Finder as “a suspenseful mystery and sensual love story that will captivate readers who enjoy authentic high-school settings, snappy dialogue, sweet romance, and heart-stopping drama.” Desires of the Dead heightens the tension as Violet uncovers dark murders, faces new dangers, and struggles with the changing dynamic between her and best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay. This compelling follow-up to The Body Finder will appeal to fans of Lisa McMann and Laurie Faria Stolarz.

Violet Ambrose can sense the echoes of those who’ve been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Jay is the only one outside her family who knows of her morbid ability. But when Violet discovers the body of a young boy she draws the attention of the FBI and is reluctantly pulled into an investigation that will endanger not only her secret but her life.
This book comes out on March 15, 2011. For more info visit Kimberly Derting's website.



"Books I Covet" is a weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!

11 comments:

  1. The Mockingbirds sounds very gritty and intense (and I have heard that it's quite graphic), so I'm not sure yet if I'll read it - I may wait to see the reviews! I will probably read The Desires of the Dead at some point, I really liked Violet & Jay's relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mockingbirds was awesome! I haven’t read The Body Finder yet. I really need to get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Mockingbirds on pre-order and I am definitely excited about Derting's next book. I did like the blue cover better but this is pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these look good. I loved The Body Finder and am looking forward to the sequel.

    My WoW this week is The Book of Spells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting choices, I will have to check them out!

    New follower here :)

    Here is my Wednesday pick:
    http://littlesqueed.blogspot.com/2010/09/waiting-on-wednesday_08.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that when you get your books, you enjoy them. Here is what I am Waiting On Wednesday for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say thanks for your comments on my blog & thanks for becoming my 100th follower!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Mockingbirds was incredable... one of the best I have read

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.