Michelle's Review: Black Magic by Cherry Adair

cadair Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Forever
Language: English
ISBN13:
978-1439153819
Source of my copy: from the publisher for review
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
SHE HATES USING MAGIC . . .
Ever since the death of her parents, Sara Temple has rejected her magical gifts. Then, in a moment of extreme danger, she unknowingly sends out a telepathic cry for help—to the one man she is convinced she never wants to see again.
HE’S A POWERFUL WIZARD . . .
Jackson Slater thought he was done forever with his ex-fiancée, but when he hears her desperate plea, he teleports halfway around the world to aid her in a situation where magic has gone suddenly, brutally wrong.
THEY’VE BEEN CHOSEN TO SAVE THE WORLD . . .
But while Sara and Jack remain convinced they are completely mismatched, the Wizard Council feels otherwise. A dark force is killing some of the world’s most influential wizards, and the ex-lovers have just proved their abilities are mysteriously amplified when they work together. But with the fate of the world at stake, will the violent emotions still simmering between them drive them farther apart . . . or bring them back into each other’s arms?


Michelle's Review:
Black Magic is my first book from the author and I liked it well enough. I thought the author did a good job building the characters' magical world and I really liked the legend she created to explain how the wizarding world in the story came to be. However, what knocked a star off my rating is the heroine--she is one of those difficult "I'm independent and I can prove it" types that goes chasing the bad guy in the woods by herself and runs right into danger. She was also also a bit of a hypocrite in that she says she doesn't trust herself to use magic because she might hurt those around her but she uses "small" magic anyway to freshen up or to dress herself. If she's going to say "no magic for me" at every other page in the book, then she shouldn't use any magic at all--there should be none of that whole "small magic" doesn't count shizz. I liked the hero, Jack, just fine but he's your typical, run of the mill hero and nothing special.

I really like the way the author told the story though and I think she has a great voice. Despite the fact that I wasn't feeling the characters in this book, it's not a bad book. I am very interested in reading more from the author and the next book in this series. 3 out of 5 stars

3 comments

  1. I like the premise of the story, but I gotta say I am not feeling the model as a wizard type at all. Sound like this one was a bit of a disappointment too. Still a great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very similar reaction to this book. I do think the author has a lot of promise though and look forward to her next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not really my type of book but i would probably will give a go ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.