Michelle's Review: All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins

jpetersen Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: HQN Books
Language: English
ISBN13:
978-0373774586
Source of my copy: From FSB Media
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
One happily-ever-after rocking chair…
And no sign of any forthcoming babies to rock in ol’ Georgebury, Vermont. For Callie Grey, turning thirty means coming to grips with the fact that her boss (and five-week fling) is way overdue in his marriage proposal. And way off track, because Mark has suddenly announced his engagement to the company’s new Miss Perfect. If that isn’t bad enough, her mom decides to throw her a 3-0 birthday bash in the family funeral home.
Bad goes to worse when she stirs up a relationship with the town’s most eligible — yet not so warm and fuzzy — veterinarian, Ian McFarland, in order to flag Mark’s attention. So Ian’s more comfortable with animals… So he’s formal, orderly and just a bit tense. The ever-friendly, fun-loving and spontaneous Callie decides it’s time for Ian to get a personality makeover. But, dang — if he doesn’t shock the heck out of her, she might actually fall for Vermont’s unlikeliest eligible bachelor…

Michelle's Review:
I love to read contemporary romance but it's really hard to find ones that are funny, heartwarming and filled with romantic tension with just enough drama without it being too dramatic and depressing. When I was asked to review this book, I almost said no because when it comes to contemporary romance, I've found only a couple of authors who can do it "right" for me--Julie James being the only one I consider an auto-buy. Well, I am so glad that I this book and the author a chance because I found myself a new contemporary go-to author in Kristan Higgins! I am most definitely going to be checking out her backlist.

There were plenty of laugh-out-loud moments in this book with a great heroine in Callie. She is one of those happy, carefree types that wears her heart and emotion on her sleeve which is very refreshing as I don't remember reading a heroine like her in a while. Her hero, Ian McFarland, is the opposite of Callie but I liked him anyway. There was great tension and spark between them and I rooted for them to get together. However, since the book is in first-person narrative by Callie, I wish I knew what Ian was thinking in certain parts of the book. There were quite a bit of secondary stories involving Callie's family throughout the book but they didn't take away from the main storyline and I enjoyed them anyway. Overall, All I Ever Wanted is a fantastic read with great characters. It reads like a feel-good romantic comedy and I absolutely adored it! I highly recommend this book. 5 out of 5 stars

6 comments

  1. Great review! I'll definitely get this one! I also love Julie James's books :) although I still haven't read Something About You, but I loved her other 2 books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few of Kristan Higgins's other book and while I enjoyed them more than most other contemporary romances I'm always a bit bothered by the relationship b/w the guy and girl. From what I recall, it's not until the end that the guy suddenly notices and falls in love with the main character and it just feels abrupt to me. But I'll probably give this book a try anyways because it sounds like fun and I haven't read a good romance in a while. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have LOVED every one of Kristan's books! She has won the RITA award for 2 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it too. I've only read a few of hers but she's one of my few auto-buy authors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored this book. I think it's one of my favorites by KH. She writes my favorite kind of romances...contemporary, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read this one yet but thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.