Leslie's Review: Girl Parts by John M. Cusick

jcusick ARC: 218 pages
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Language: English
ISBN:
9780763649302
Source of my copy: the publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
David and Charlie are opposites. David has a million friends, online and off. Charlie is a soulful outsider, off the grid completely. But neither feels close to anybody. When David’s parents present him with a hot Companion bot to encourage healthy bonds and treat "dissociative disorder," he can’t get enough of luscious red-headed Rose — and he can’t get it soon. Companions come with strict intimacy protocols, and whenever he tries anything, David gets an electric shock. Severed from the boy she was built to love, Rose turns to Charlie, who finds he can open up, knowing Rose isn’t real. With Charlie’s help, the ideal "companion" is about to become her own best friend.
In a stunning and hilarious debut, John Cusick takes rollicking aim at internet culture and our craving for meaningful connection in an uber-connected world.


Leslie's Review:
David and Charlie are complete opposites--while David has millions of friends, Charlie is a lonely outsider. But both feels detached from everyone around them. To help David with his "dissociative disorder," his parents get him a hot Companion bot called Rose and David can't resist her. But when he tries to touch her, he gets shocked from the Companions strict intimacy clock. When Rose got separated from David, she turns to Charlie for help. He opens up to her knowing she is just a bot. With the world so open and new, Rose finds who she's really meant to be.

This was a hilarious and fun read. To me the humor is a bit like
Match Made In High School except Girl Parts is narrated from a boy's point of view. The book's point of view made it especially interesting because I hardly read books with a boy's POV. However, despite the fact that it was an enjoyable read, I was really disappointed with the way it ended. It was the most exciting part and then all of a sudden it just ended. When it did end, I had so many questions in my head that were sadly left unanswered. Nevertheless, Girl Parts with its unique characters and fun, humorous plot is a good read that I very much enjoyed. I'm definitely on the look out for more from this debut author. 4 out of 5 stars

6 comments

  1. Great review! I have it on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a FAB FAB review. I can't wait to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a really interesting book. It actually reminds me of The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee, though that book is a bit more serious. I think you might enjoy it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this either!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been really wanting to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do hate when a book ends to drastically leaving too many questions. I do want to read this book though and have been wanting it ever since I first discovered it for one of my WOW's.

    As always loved your review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.