Michelle's Review: One Season of Sunshine by Julia London (& Winner)

jlondon Paperback: 392 pages
Publisher: Pocket
Language: English
ISBN13:
9781416547099
Source of my copy: from the publisher
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
Should some questions be left unanswered? Adopted as an infant, Jane Aaron longs to know the identity of her birth mother and why she gave her up. Her only clue is the name of the small Texas town where she was born, so she’s come to Cedar Springs for answers. Handsome ad executive Asher Price lost his wife, the beautiful, mysterious Susanna, in a terrible car crash eighteen months ago. When he hires Jane as the nanny for his two children, sparks fly. Jane finds herself falling in love with both Asher and his children, but begins to suspect that Susanna was not the perfect mother and wife the family portrays her to have been. As Jane gets closer and closer to finding out the truth about both her own and Susanna’s past, devastating secrets begin to emerge that may be more than anyone can bear. Will the truth bring Jane and Asher closer together or tear them apart forever?


Michelle's Review:
I've read the author's historical romances before but this is my first contemporary by her and I was curious. To me One Season of Sunshine is more women's fiction than romance but I liked it nonetheless. It tells the story of Jane Aaron who was adopted when she was only a few days old. She has a great life: a loving family, great friends, a nice boyfriend and a job as a second grade teacher. But she had always felt that she's missing something in her life and yearns to meet her birth mother. So, she goes to Cedar Springs where she was born to search for answers and there, she ends up working for single dad Asher Price as a nanny to his two children--prickly teenager Riley and energetic 5-year-old Levi. Asher's wife, Susanna, died in a terrible car accident over a year ago but the family is still not over her death and their house is very Manderley-esque shrine to Susanna Price. As Jane gets to know the family, she begins to suspect that Susanna might not be the perfect wife and mother everyone says she was. A growing attraction between Jane and Asher develops but as Jane gets closer to finding out the identity of her birth mother, secrets are exposed that may ruin any future Jane and Asher might have.

Throughout the whole book, I wasn't sure how I feel about Jane. I thought she was a bit selfish and insensitive in how she just packs up and leaves, first with her family and then later with Asher and the children. It's like she doesn't think about the impact of her decisions and what her leaving has on them. I also didn't like how she just kept stringing along her boyfriend for most of the book when she couldn't make a decision as to what to do with him. She describes herself as being a flake and she is that but her character does grow. On the other hand, I really liked how she was firm but sweet to Asher's difficult children and wasn't intimidated by them, especially Riley. I liked Asher right away though--he's trying his hardest to juggle a demanding career and still be a father his children who just lost their mother. As we learn more about Susanna, I really felt for him and was happy when he got his second chance with Jane--I thought the romance between them was sweet.

As the story went on, it became less about finding Jane's birth mother and more about Jane becoming a vital part of the Price family. That's fine with me as I was more interested in Jane, Asher and the children and I thought the scenes where Jane was looking for her birth mom slowed the story down a bit. I liked that the issues weren't all tied up in a nice happily ever after bow but the ending is satisfying. Overall, this book is an easy read and, like in her historical novels, I like the author's voice. I enjoyed this book--I recommend it as a nice beach or a book club read. 4 out of 5 stars

Random.org has spoken and the winner of the One Season of Sunshine giveaway:
Kritter who said: "My favorite author of the moment is jennifer crusie. I am in the middle of reading her for the first time and I am absolutely loving it."

Congratulations Kritter! Please email back with your shipping address in the next 72 hours or I'll choose a new winner. Thank you everyone for entering and sharing who your favorite authors are! :)

3 comments

  1. That sounds like a lovely book, yet kind of heart wretching too. Congrats to the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds a tough story - also like the cover. Thanks for visiting my blog and the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by the Country Bookshelf http://www.countrybookshelf.blogspot.com to view Julia London's interveiw :)

    Always feel free to cross post reviews in our comments sections- I'm sure our readers would be interested in stopping by to read your views!

    Hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.