Leslie's Review: Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

shale Paperback: 306 pages
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Language: English
ISBN:
9781599900513
Source of my copy: borrowed from the library
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
After being imprisoned in a tower, a princess and her serving maid at last escape to find a changed world and danger at every turn.






Leslie's Review
:
Dashti (a lady's maid) is stuck in a tower for seven years when her lady, Lady Saren, refused to accept an arranged marriage. While Lady Saren distresses over their situation, Dashti can only hope to keep herself sane and both of them fed during their imprisonment. When Lady Saren receive two suitors--one very welcomed and the other not so much--Dashti must take many risks to protect her lady from any harm and she may even be risking her own life.

Book of a Thousand Days is one of the books listed on my required reading list and I decided to read this book for that reason. This book was very heartwarming with Shannon's great writing but I can't help but compare it to her other book The Goose Girl (which I loved very much; see my review). I found the plot a bit similar to The Goose Girl and Dashti was as likable as the main character in it. Dashti was one of the best heroines that I've ever read about because she is strong, brave, loyal and intelligent. However, I almost lost my patience with her Lady Saren because she was a little annoying. I didn't like how she was weak and unhappy for most of the book but towards the end, I did grow to like her when she finally started to compose herself. Overall, I thought Book of a Thousand Days was a great retelling of a Grimm Brothers fairytale, though it's one I'm not familiar with. I really liked that it was in a diary format (written by Dashti) so if you like books written this way you should definitely check this book out. I'm very glad I choose it from my reading list to read this summer! 4 out of 5 stars

6 comments

  1. Great review! I have this one on my tbr list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one. Great review. Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this book for a while but I just never come across it. It looks really enjoyable and I'm glad to see that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh a retelling gotta love them. Just finished A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn and it was as great as Beastly in a different more funny way. Sounds like I need to get this one next. Thanks for the lovely review Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful review. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the storyline! Great review ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.