Monday, July 12, 2010

aflinn Paperback: 300 pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Language: English
ISBN:
9780060874186
Source of my copy: My sister bought it
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
I am a beast.
A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.
You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.
Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.


Leslie's Review
:
I was really excited to read this book and it was a really great and easy read. The book is a contemporary version of the classic fairytale, Beauty and the Beast and it was written in the hero's (aka the beast) perspective. The beast is
Kyle Kingsbury and in the beginning, he was an arrogant, stuck-up jerk. After tricking the witch, Kendra, into thinking that she is Kyle's date to the spring dance (when he already has a date) she casts a spell on him that turned him into an ugly beast. Now Kyle only has two years to find someone he can fall in love with and who will fall in love with him back in return despite his beastly looks. He and this girl must kiss in order to break the spell.

I really liked this book because it was sweet (like how fairy tales should be) and written well. Although Kyle was a rude person in the beginning, overtime he became likable as he understood the lesson the witch wanted him to understand--that it's what's in the inside that really counts. But my favorite character was Linda, a classmate that Kyle comes to know more about and falls in love with. But will she love him back?

If you're planning on watching the movie that'll be out sometime in the future, I recommend you read this book first. I don't think the movie will do it justice and I don't really want to see the movie now because I'm afraid it will ruin this book's charm for me. Although Beauty and the Beast wasn't my favorite fairytale when I was younger, I really enjoyed this book anyway and a book I'll most likely re-read in the future. 4.5 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Amen. The book was SO good I seriously doubt the film will do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored this book and know that like you, I will be re-reading this book often for sure. =)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved this re-telling of Beauty and the Beast and am quite excited to see the movie when it comes out. Good review Leslie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this one recently and enjoyed it as well. I've noticed that the author has other titles and i tbr'd them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.