I began this blog on September 3, 2009 (then it was titled "On my Bookshelf and in my Makeup Drawer" because I intended to review both books and beauty products--hence the really weird blog URL that we are not stuck with) just in time to participate in the 2009 BBAW. Through the BBAW, I was introduced to many book blogs and it played a part in my decision of turning this blog solely dedicated to reviewing books and talking about all things bookish a month later. My 13-year-old sister Leslie eventually joined me with this book blogging endeavor after that. Now, two months before our blogoversary, we registering for BBAW again as true book bloggers (no longer is the blog straddling the beauty product/book fence like in 2009--it is on the side of books and we are loving every minute of it!).
After talking about it, Leslie and I decided to go ahead and nominate our blog for Best Eclectic Book Blog in the Niche category for the BBAW 2010. Though our blog primarily review YA and MG fiction and romance, we do like an eclectic variety of other genres which we sometimes review here on the blog. Here are our five exemplars:
1. YA review (written by Leslie): The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
2. Romance review (written by Michelle): Forbidden Passion by Rita Herron
3. Non-fiction review (written by Leslie): Easy as Pi: The Countless Ways We Use Numbers Every Day by Jamie Buchan
4. Graphic Novel chat: Alison Dare: Little Miss Adventures and Heart of the Maiden
5. Review Index
We also decided to nominate our blog for the Best New Book Blog for the Featured category. Here are our five exemplars for this category:
1. The very first book reviewed (posted September 3, 2009): Quick Review: Her One Desire by Kimberly Killion
2. One of our most recent review (posted June 22, 2010): Leslie's Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
3. Meme: Book I Covet: Sundae My Prince Will Come by Catherine Clark
4. Midnight Confession: Where are my nerds at?
5. Q&A with Author Leanna Renee Hieber (& Giveaway)
Our nominating our blog for BBAW 2010 involved a lot of thought and discussion between Leslie and myself. We know our blog is hardly the best--there are many, many book blogs out there better looking, more well-written and gets more traffic than ours. But our blog is truly a labor of love. Blogging books, interacting with and sharing our bookish thoughts to the book blogging community is something we really enjoy and see ourselves doing for a very long time. Thank you to all our readers' and followers' continued support and wish us luck!
We encourage all book bloggers old and new to sign up for BBAW because it is a fantastic event. Even if you are not nominating your blog for any of the categories, it's still a great event filled with interview swaps, guest post, giveaways and many more. You can discover new blogs and other readers discover you. Sign up HERE to join BBAW 2010!