Sunday, June 20, 2010

cclare Paperback: 277 pages
Publisher: Razorbill
Language: English
ISBN:
9781595142573
Source of my copy: I bought it
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes.


Michelle's Review:
After all the heavy, emotional books I've been reading lately I almost forgot how nice it was to read about a book about normal people with no crazy dramas like an unwanted pregnancy or dealing of magical creatures and mayhem. This book is pure high school bubble-gum fun (a la an iCarly or a Sonny With a Chance show) and I love it for that. I laughed, I sighed and devoured it in a few hours.

Our narrator is high school senior Fiona and it was great reading her sarcastic yet witty and funny thoughts (I wish I think like her!). She has one best friend Marcie and she has been in love with Gabe since grade school. When her school's principal announced that the entire senior class will be taking part in a marriage education program, she couldn't help thinking that maybe her luck has changed and she'll be partnered with Gabe as her "husband." Unfortunately, she ended up with popular Todd the jock whose girlfriend, Amanda, is her archenemy since the second grade. Her best friend Marcie ended up being partnered with Johnny Mercer who shares similar tastes in music as Fiona and a very nice guy. The ultimate question then becomes which boy will Fiona end up with in the end: her long-time crush Gabe, Todd the jock (who turns out to be not the jerk he was at first) or shy Johnny Mercer? The boy I wanted her to be with wasn't who she ended up with but it had a great satisfying ending just the same.

MMiH has great cast of characters and a likable heroine in Fiona, though I did want to shake her sometimes for being self-absorbed and thoughtless. The whole "marriage" assignment in school and being forced to partner with a jock as your pretend husband and false first impressions plot line is cliché but it was presented in a fresh way and I really like it. This book was a very easy read, well-written and it was funny without trying too hard. This book is Kristin Walker's debut novel and I am definitely going to keep an eye out for her next book. This book is a great weekend read and I highly recommend it! 4.5 out of 5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I totally understand the need for a light read after reading some of the more heavy issued books found in YA lit. This one sounds like fun and with some unique twists to it. another great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. read a few review on this one and i must say i kind of like too as well.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. While its been a while since I read a book like this, I've heard so much about this book that I now really want to read it. It just looks like a lot of fun.I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. Sounds like fun. I wish we'd tried this in high school.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.