Michelle's Review: Masked by Moonlight by Nancy Gideon

ngideon Paperback: 375 pages
Publisher: Pocket
Language: English
ISBN:
9781439149638
Source of my copy: From Simon & Schuster for review
Synopsis (from Goodreads)

ALL SHE WANTS IS REVENGE.
New Orleans homicide detective Charlotte Caissie is dedicated to bringing down the crime boss responsible for her father’s murder. Using Jimmy Legere’s mysterious and irresistible right-hand man is a dangerous gamble, and not only due to his reputation as more monster than man. Because her feelings for Max Savoie are . . . complicated.
THEN HE RISKS HIS LIFE TO SAVE HERS.
Rescued from the swamps as a child, Max exists silently in Legere’s shadow, heeding only his voice—until Charlotte Caissie awakens his emotions and tests his loyalties. Stepping outside his cautious rules threatens more than just his heart. He could expose his darkest secret.
NOW THEY’RE BOTH IN OVER THEIR HEADS.
Testing boundaries they weren’t meant to cross means facing the truth about who and what they are—and what they need from each other. If Max is the murderer she seeks, Charlotte could be his next victim. She can’t afford to trust any man. Good thing Max isn’t one.


Michelle's Review:
Masked in Moonlight is the first book in a new trilogy that will follow the same couple in all three books. We are introduced to Charlotte Caissie, a tough homicide detective, and Max Savoie, the right hand man of the most powerful crime lord in New Orleans--despite their mutual attraction to each other they know it'll never work out. But they are thrown together after a string of gruesome murders were committed with Charlotte having to investigate it and Max being the main suspect. Their being on the opposite side of the law makes for a very complicated relationship but there are plenty of sparks between the two. Both Max and Charlotte have very troubled pasts and they have a lot of issues to work out both within themselves and with each other. I am glad we'll get to know more about them of in the upcoming books.

This book is a dark urban fantasy set in New Orleans and I thought the author did an excellent job describing the setting--I can practically feel the dry heat and the damp swamps, see the garbage strewn dark alleys and the dangerous creatures that hide in shadows. There are a lot of plot twist and turns in the story and non-stop action. Yet, despite all that I felt like there's something missing in the story. I can't quite put my finger on it but this something kept me from fully appreciating the book. Maybe it's the fact that while I connected with and felt for Max's character immediately, it took me a while to do so with Charlotte (if I ever did). She's supposed to be this kick-ass, hard-hitting cop but I never really got that and she wasn't... sympathetic and I felt more for her friend Mary Kate who was with her when they were kidnapped and tortured as teenagers. I can't wait for the next book to come out because I want to get to know her character better.

If your looking for a dark, urban fantasy series read with an intriguing, multidimensional hero vividly set in New Orleans, you might want to pick this book up. 4.25 stars out of 5

Other books in the series:

How hot are these covers?! I definitely prefer these two to the Masked by Moonlight cover. Chased by Moonlight is out on June 29 and Captured by Moonlight on July 27.

4 comments

  1. Great review, I might take a look at it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it's hard for me to sympathize with heroines in these sorts of books, but I found a lot to like in Charlotte. I think it was interesting to see the emotional roles reversed- Charlotte was the tough one, Max the emotional one. I think in any other story it would have bothered me but it really worked for me here. Glad you liked the book, I know I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.