Saturday, June 5, 2010

cphillips ARC: 211 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Language: English
ARC ISBN:
9781402238611
Source of my copy: From the publisher for review
Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Mary Richards is a normal sixteen-year-old girl living in Manhattan. Well, almost normal. She goes to private school on the Upper East Side, having been saved from a life of squalor by an adoptive family. But she’s also slowly transforming into a cat. Struggling to hide her physical metamorphosis, Mary discovers that she isn’t alone. A whole race of cat people prowls the streets of Manhattan at night, including Mary’s long-time crush, Nick. Aside from heightened feline senses, hanging out with Nick is the best thing about discovering her inner kitty. But Mary’s transformation is special and could decide the outcome of a citywide turf war. She must decide whether to embrace her powerful feline side and become a pack leader or go back to being a normal teenage girl. Can she land on her feet or will curiosity be her downfall?

Leslie's Review:
First of all, I really like the cover of this book--the colors remind me of India and it has a very Indian feel to it. This book had an interesting plot and that was what attracted me to keep reading it. The heroine, Mary, experienced a lot of inner struggle in this book. When she first transformed into a cat she had to decide if she really wants to be a cat or still live her normal life. I admit I couldn't really relate or connect with Mary because I didn't feel I really got to know her. I hope in the next book we get to find out more about her. I did like her sister relationship with Octavia who is also adopted but is not a cat. I also liked Nick the love interest and I hope that they'll be together in the end.

I thought the plot was very unique and it had a steady pace that was easy to follow. However, I wished the book didn't end the way it did because it was a little abrupt (though this book is short and it's the first book in a series). Nevertheless, the writing was good and even though Mary had to deal with a lot of issues like peer pressure, popularity, sisterly loyalty and ultimately her decision of staying human or becoming a full-fledged cat, her narration was full of humor and fun. I thought that this book was unique with the whole "turning into a cat" thing because I haven't come across this in any paranormal I've read before--people turning into werewolves and other aggressive animals yes but cats (whether domesticated or stray), no.

At the end of the book, it seemed Mary made a firm decision but I want to see if she sticks to it. I would read the next book because I'm curious (pun intended hehehe) of how things will go and I'd love to know more about the cats' world and the turf war between the domesticated and the stray. 3.5 stars out of 5

6 comments:

  1. I never read any paranormal with someone becoming like a were-cat!Thant is really sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good one. I've not heard about it before. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a book i got for review a while ago (still havent read it). not really my cup o' tea but i'll look at it on the self at the store ;P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book looks good and thanks for the review, I think I am going to check it out next time I am un a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review. Now I'm totally wondering what she resolved to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Rachel Vincent's werecat series, Shifters, so that's why I was interested in this book. In that series there are major issues between natural-born and stray werecats, too. I might borrow this book from the library. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.