Leslie's Review: The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells

ahowell ARC: 295 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Language: English
ARC ISBN:
9781402238628
Source of my copy: From the publisher for review
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
"Sometimes I still wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the very beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.
My name is Mia Gordon: I was sixteen years old, and I remember everything...."
After getting dumped by her boyfriend, Mia is looking forward to spending a relaxing summer in the Hamptons with her glamorous cousins. But when she arrives she find her cousins distant, moody, and caught up with a fast crowd. Mia finds herself lonelier than ever, until she meets her next-door-neighbor, Simon Ross. And from the very first time he encourages her to go skinny dipping, she's caught in a current impossible to resist.
Timeless in feel, The Summer of Skinny-Dipping is a poignant, literary coming-of-age romance that will live on long after summer has ended.


Leslie's Review:
After being dumped by her boyfriend, all Mia wanted was to leave town and get away. She is looking forward to spending the summer at her aunt's beach house in the Hamptons and seeing Beth and Corinne, her two perfect and beautiful cousins. But when she finally meets them after many years, they are too caught up in their high-society lives and Mia finds herself left behind. Then, Mia meets Simon, the boy-next-door, who understands her loneliness. Soon the two of them begin to meet up with each other to swim late at night when it feels like only they exist. As Mia lives her timeless summer, she not only finds love but she also finds herself.

I totally loved this book! I love the sweet romance between Mia and Simon. I was caught up in the beautiful and lively plot--Mia's summer is the summer I want to experience and I guess the summer everyone dreams of experiencing. I thought the writing was really good and very vivid that I felt I was there with Mia and throughout the book I couldn't help but let myself be swept away to the Hamptons.

I especially liked The Summer of Skinny Dipping because Mia is very similar to me and I really connected with her. Also, I fell in love with Simon along with Mia and they are now two of my favorite heroine and hero in YA. I really liked the relationship between them because they fell in love gradually and genuinely and I thought they were perfect for each other and they balanced each other out. I didn't want this book to end because I wanted to spend more time with Mia and Simon. However, the ending to this book is completely satisfying. This is a summer must read! 5 out of 5 stars

6 comments

  1. A great book for summer and I love beaches too! Great review ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good read :) I'll look out for it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I'm still debating if I should pick this book up, but it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking of reading more YA "summer" books since reading The Summer I Turned Pretty. This one sounds cute! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its onset of winter here in Melbourne and so chilly! Summer books seem a dream far away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book. I found you through the book blogger hop, and I'm a new follower. Just wanted to say hello!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.