Tuesday, June 29, 2010

juliekagawa Paperback: 363 pages
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Language: English
ISBN:
9780373210084
Source of my copy: I bought it
Synopsis: from Goodreads
Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

Leslie's Review:
I was really excited to read this book and now that I finally had it lived up to my expectations and was really fun. Meghan Chase is a normal high school student--or so she thought, until she turned sixteen. Despite the wonderful things that are written about when a girl turns sixteen, Meghan instead finds out that she is the daughter of a mythical summer king in faery world and ends up playing a powerful role in a faery war. Meghan journeys through the faery world in order to save her younger brother who was captured by a mysterious evil creature. Along the way she learns more of her father's world and herself. But how much will she sacrifice to save her brother?

Like my sister, I was drawn to read this book because of its beautiful cover. As I read the book, I was drawn to the faery world the author has created. It was very magical and beautiful and I felt like I was there with Meghan. I enjoyed reading about the mysterious and mythical creatures too. However, I thought Meghan's character didn't shine as much as the other characters like prankster Puck and sarcastic cat Grimalkin--her character was any other young adult heroine and nothing really stood out about her to me. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series though because towards the end of this book, Meghan was finally stepping out and was becoming more confident and strong. There's a little love triangle going on with Meghan, Puck and Ash and I am definitely in Team Ash here. I really liked the
Ice Prince--he was a very intriguing guy.

I'm really excited to read the next book and I totally recommend The Iron King to anyone as awesome fantasy young adult read. 4 out of 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Glad you like it!;p

    I must say i have to read it too, very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this book too and am anxious for the Iron Daughter to see what happens next. I am really glad you both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great read. I'll look out for this one... I'm getting a bit beyond the "young adult" age, but I'm finding a renewed interest in YA books :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4/5 stars. I'll have to check this out since you both liked it. Excellent review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't a series I would pick up on my own, but your review has encouraged me to add it to my summer reading list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.