Tuesday, May 4, 2010

jillshalvis Paperback: 370 pages
Publisher: Brava
Language: English
ISBN:
9780758234636
Source of my copy: I bought it
Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Brodick McJames is an earl in name only. To secure his clan's future he needs an English wife. Mary Stanford, daughter of the Earl of Warwickshire, will suit perfectly. He's never met her, but what matter? She'll grace his bed eventually, and once she bears his child he need see her no more. Anne Copper looks just like her noble half-sister, but she was born illegitimate, and can never forget it. The best she can hope for is to stay a serving girl in her own father's house. But when Lady Mary finds herself betrothed to a Scot, it seems there's a use for Anne after all...The woman who arrives in Alcaon is not what Brodick expects, and the passion that grows between them promises far more than a marriage of convenience. When fate draws two together, it may take more than a noblewoman's plot to part them...

Michelle's Review:
I have to admit I'm not a big medieval historical novel fan, romance or otherwise, but I was in the mood for a spicy read. This book and the author were featured in a couple of the blogs I'm following and they only had good thing to say. Then, when I saw that this Brava book was being sold on Amazon at a bargain prize, I figured couldn't go wrong--if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be a huge loss because I'm getting it at a cheap prize.

So, we have Anne (the heroine) who is the illegitimate daughter of an earl. She lives in the same house as her evil stepmother and Mary, her spoiled half-sister. When her father ordered her half-sister to marry Brodick, a Scottish earl, her stepmother blackmailed Anne into taking Mary's place. When Brodick arrives to take Mary to his home in Scotland, instead of a spoiled, weak English miss he was expecting he finds the opposite. Anne was forced to keep pretending to be Mary but soon an attraction and passion between the two grows and though she tries to resist, Anne finds herself falling in love with a man that is not her husband. How will Brodick react when he finds out the truth?

Though some of the sex scenes kinda got a little long-winded and I glazed over them a little, this book did deliver in the "spicy read" factor. However, it's not one of those books where it's all sex and no plot and I was fairly surprised by how well-written it was and the author's attention to detail when describing the medieval setting. Those who like a alpha hero will like Brodick but Anne can stand up on her own and Brodick is a softie when it comes to her. I thought everything was tied into a too nice a bow in the end though. While I like my happily ever afters, I like my endings to be something I can believe in and the ending in this one was just too perfect. 3.75 out of 5

2 comments:

  1. Well, in bed with some stranger tells a lot of story in bed..Good review though =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, this doesn't sound like something I'm in the mood for but it actually does sound good. I'm knee deep in a YA reading frenzy and don't want to come out.

    I'll put this on my list of books to try out when I need something more adult to read.

    Great review though. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.