Michelle's Review: The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

lrhieber Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Leisure Books
Language: English
ISBN:
9780843962970
Source of my copy: from the author for review
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
With radiant, snow white skin and hair, Percy Parker was a beacon for Fate. True love had found her, in the tempestuous form of Professor Alexi Rychman. But her mythic destiny was not complete. Accompanying the ghosts with which she alone could converse, new and terrifying omens loomed. A war was coming, a desperate ploy of a spectral host. Victorian London would be overrun. Yet, Percy kept faith. Within the mighty bastion of Athens Academy, alongside The Guard whose magic shielded mortals from the agents of the Underworld, she counted herself among friends. Wreathed in hallowed fire, they would stand together, no matter what dreams or nightmares—may come.


Michelle's Review:
The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker begins a little bit before the final battle scene in the first book of the series and recounts where the feather that Percy eventually follows to save the Guard originated. After Percy saved the Guard from the evil Lucy Linden and the chimera, Percy and Alexi finally marry and everyone were able to breathe easy for a while. But there is still that prophesied final battle with Darkness himself and Percy is the key to his downfall--something that angers and frustrates Alexi to no end. Reading the first book (The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker) is a must as this book is not standalone.

I think this book is just as well-written as the first. I love the wonderful cast of secondary characters and we get to learn more about them as individuals in this book. My favorites are still Elijah and Josephine and I was really happy to see them have their happy ending at the conclusion of the book. However, the most fascinating member of the guard in this book is Jane because she was basically a mystery in the first book. Her story is heartbreaking but her character touched my heart and despite her bittersweet end, I was happy for her. Having said all that, I admit that when I read the first book I wasn't sold on either of the two main characters, Percy and Alexi. Percy was too much of a timid, wilting flower and Alexi a prowling, brooding hero that I didn't find that likable. I was hoping Percy would grow as a character in this book and I'm happy to say I'm not disappointed. Though the change in Percy happened gradually, the Percy at the end of the book is no longer the submissive, apologetic girl she was but instead the brave, self-confident heroine I like reading about but she's still Percy. Reading about Percy's growth is one of my favorite part of the book and a joy to read. I can't say the same for Alexi because he was a brooding, over-protective, jealous husband for most of the book so I'm still on the fence with his character.

The final battle in this book was big, dramatic and exciting. I really appreciated the epilogue and though there's a window there for a possible spin off, it's satisfying nevertheless. Overall, I liked this book better than the first one. Although it's being marketed as an adult romance, it book can be read by young adults. There's some sensuality but it's fade to black and it's a PG book. If you're in the mood for an emotional dark, classic Gothic read with ghosts, magic, friendship and romance, give this series a try. 4.5 out of 5

Other books in the series:
lrhieber
See my review of this book here.

3 comments

  1. Wow..that is really an interesting review. and Darkly luminous sounds intriguing.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice review. I was considering this for my TBR list, so thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I really need to get my hands on the first in the series. Thanks gals :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.