Leslie's Review: The Return: Shadow Souls (The Vampire Diaries) by L.J. Smith

ljsmith Paperback: 599 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
Language: English
ISBN:
9780061720819
Source of my copy: I bought it
Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Elena Gilbert is at the center of magic and danger beyond her imagining. But this time her vampire boyfriend, Stefan, isn’t there to help! Elena is forced to trust her life to his brother, Damon, the handsome but deadly vampire who wants Elena, body and soul. The tension between Elena and Damon mounts until Elena is faced with a terrible decision: Which brother does she really want?
The drama, danger, and forbidden love that mark the New York Times bestselling Vampire Diaries series are in full effect here, with Elena Gilbert once again brimming with supernatural powers.


Leslie's Review: (with spoilers)
First of all, this book was part of my all-time favorite vampire series and I'm glad to find that Shadow Souls, though not as exciting as the previous books, is an okay read nonetheless. This book is about Elena and her friends Meredith, Bonnie, and Damon making their way through the Dark Dimension to save Elena's beloved Stefan. While in back in Fell's Church the kitsune (aka evil fox spirits) twins, Misao and Shinichi, continue to wreak havoc and Matt (another friend of Elena's) tries to find ways to stop them.

Unfortunately, I didn't really like Elena in this one. She seemed too nice and angelic for me to believe. I understand that she has changed to more of a caring person from the last book, Nightfall, but she's still eighteen years old and therefore a teenager--I'd like to see her more act like it. Also, I got really tired of her saying how much she misses Stefan pretty much at every other page. Fine, she misses him but she doesn't have to keep saying it because it got very annoying. When Elena and Stefan did reunite... well, I was just glad they were back together again and hope they stay that way.

The writing is great as always and I liked how the author was very descriptive when she talks about the various settings and the action that took place in the book. I liked how the author switch settings from the Dark Dimension with Elena to Fell's Church with Matt. The pacing of the plot was okay though it did drag a bit in some parts. I'm pretty invested in this series so I'll most likely read the next book. 3.5 out of 5

Other books in the series:
ljsmith ljsmith ljsmith

2 comments

  1. Thanks for the honesty. I really should try this series sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I love the tv show over the books!=)
    On a whole the series is good but not great!
    I will also admit that I hate that the TV veers away from the book because if that's the case I'd rather the be inspired by a book as oppose to based on the books.


    Great review!=)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.