Friday, April 30, 2010

jillshalvis Paperback: 315 pages
Publisher: Berkley Sensation
Language: English
ISBN:
9780425233665
Source of my copy: I bought it
Synopsis (from Goodreads)
After a woman claims she's pregnant with Wade O'Riley's love child, Major League Baseball's most celebrated catcher and ladies' man is slapped on the wrist by management and ordered to improve his image. His enforcer is the team's publicist, the tough and sexy Samantha McNead.
When Wade needs a date for a celebrity wedding, Sam steps up to the plate as his "girlfriend". But given her secret crush on him and that one awkward night a year ago in a stalled elevator with too much Scotch, the whole thing is an exercise in sexual tension.
Wade is thrilled when the pretense turns into an unexpected night of hot passion. But the next day Sam is back to her cool self. As a catcher, Wade's used to giving the signals, not struggling to read them. Now, to win the love of his "pretend" girlfriend, he needs a home run--even if it involves stealing a few bases...

Michelle's Review:
Slow Heat is the second book in the Pacific Heat series and is another great contemporary romance by Ms. Shalvis. Having read Double Play, the first book in the series (my review here), I found I liked this one better. I mean I really liked Double Play but I really, really liked Slow Heat all the more. Maybe it's because prior to the start of the story, Wade and Sam already have a shared history--they work together (Sam being the publicist for the Heat and Wade is the star catcher) and they had sex in an elevator one drunken night and both can't forget about that "incident." I definitely prefer the hero and heroine having prior history as oppose to them just meeting in the beginning of the book.

Wade is described as a laid back, easy going blond surfer-like guy while Sam is more of a plannner and organization type of gal and the whole opposites attract dynamic they had going on was done well. I really liked the progression of their relationship from denying their feelings to themselves and each other to that last scene when the "three words" were spoken. If you haven't read the first book of the series, have no fear as SH is a standalone book but you probably might want to read Double Play anyway. This is a contemporary romance at its finest. This book is filled with humor and banter, plenty of sexual tension and flirting and two very likable hero and heroine--both of which are wonderful in their imperfections. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a fun and satisfying contemporary romance read. 4.5 out of 5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I love baseball and was really looking forward to this book. Sam was a bit too wishy-washy for my taste but overall a fun, enjoyable read. I will have to look into more Shalvis books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a baseball fan and I was not too sure about this book. I'd won it in a contest and thought "what the heck?" I really liked it! I read the firs book in the series immediately after I finished this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.