Monday, April 26, 2010

isabokelly Paperback: 170 pages
Publisher: Ellora's Cave
Language: English
ISBN:
9781419960314
Source of my copy: from the author for review
Synopsis (from the author's website)
She is a Siren, capable of driving men mad with her song.
Sonia has been preparing for her marriage to Vander since before her father announced their betrothal. Their marriage will unite their homeworlds against a common enemy, and Sonia has done everything in her power to be ready for that union. All her study has had an unexpected side effect, however: she’s fallen in love with him.
He is a genetically engineered soldier determined to save his homeworld.
Vander had no intention of being married in anything but name, but as soon as he meets Sonia, he knows he must have her in his bed. And as soon as he hears her song, he realizes her powerful voice will be an unmatched asset to the war effort…and will put Sonia in terrible danger.
With enemies on all sides and treachery at every pass, Sonia must find a way to use her extraordinary voice to hold back the Selmorahn Empire…and use her mind and body to win the heart of the man she loves.

Michelle's Review:
Siren Singing is a novella length book published by Ellora's Cave. This being my first EC book, I didn't know what to expect but when the author assured me that her books "tend to be a little vanilla" compared to other EC books, I breathed easier. I like some steam in my books but the hardcore erotica stuff (i.e., menage, BDSM, etc.) are just not my cup of tea...

Well, I'm happy to say that I enjoyed this book! It is a bit more steamier than your average romance novel but nothing crazy which I really like. The thing about this book is that the relationship between the hero and the heroine is more than lust and sex. Reading the story, I felt that they genuinely were falling in for each other and by the time the book ended I believed in their professed love for one another. This is important because from the reviews I've read featuring other EC books, the sex often gets in the way of relationship building between the main characters but I'm happy to say that does not happen in this book. I like both the hero and the heroine and the futuristic world they lived in is interesting. However, I thought the characters and the world building were under developed, but with a novella of only 170 pages that is to be expected (I really wished SS was a longer book!). The only part where I went "huh?" was that thing with Sonia hating snakes--it was mentioned twice and both times it took me out of the story for some weird reason (maybe because that quirk was out of character for her?). I thought the story could have done without that. The writing was good and I like the author's voice (I'm very happy I have another book by her waiting for me on my shelf). For a fast and steamy read, consider giving Siren Singing a try! 4 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.