Saturday, April 24, 2010

juliekagawa Paperback: 363 pages
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Language: English
ISBN:
9780373210084
Source of my copy: I bought it
Synopsis
Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.


Michelle's Review:
From the very beginning, I was drawn to this book by the cover. Sure, I saw that this book received great ratings but I never read any reviews on this book before I bought it. It has been sitting on my shelf for a while, when I finally picked it up and took it with me to read during my weekend trip... And you know what? I was pleasantly surprised by the story!

This is a debut book by author Julie Kagawa and I thought the writing was good overall. It was slightly awkward in the beginning but as the story went on it got better. I thought the world building great and I enjoyed reading about the faery creatures Meghan encountered. The creatures and some of the scenes in this book reminded me a lot of that 80s movie Labyrinth (you know the one with David Bowie and a young Jennifer Connelly) though--actually this book reminded me a lot of that movie. The book's pacing was slow at times and only picks up in the last third of the book but I wasn't bored. I really liked the secondary characters in the book like the prankster Puck, the cunning cat Grim and the book's heartthrob Ice Prince Ash but I wasn't sure what to make of the heroine Meghan. The book is written in first person in Meghan's perspective and I thought I should've gotten to know her best but I didn't. Yes, she's brave and good and determined but most of the time I was reading I kept asking what else? The last few chapters of the book it finally felt like I'm getting something else from Meghan but the book ended...

There may be a possible love triangle between Meghan, Ash and Puck but I don't think it's going to be as stressed a plot device in this series as say in The Hunger Games. Well, at least I hope not because, as some of you know, I really dislike love triangles. All in all, I liked it and I've already decided that I'm going to follow this series--it's interesting and I want to see where the author takes the story. 4 out of 5 stars

7 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle!Great review..I also want to read this Iron Fey series and the iron daughter will be release soon but i dont read even this one yet.*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I haven't read The Iron King yet, but I plan to! My book just needs to come in the mail already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great review! How I wish I could buy and read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I think the cover is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent read The Body Finder (but want to) but I have read hush hush and really enjoyed it.

    What great books you have lined up! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series. I love the covers.

    I am using your review as part of a scavenger hunt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.