Leslie's Review: The Wish List by Gabi Stevens (ARC)

thewishlistARC Copy: 384 pages
Publisher: Tor
Language: English
ISBN:
9780765365033
Source of my copy: from the author for an honest review
Cover Image from the author's website & Synopsis from Amazon
Kristin Montgomery is more than a little shocked when her aunts inform her they’re fairy godmothers. Worse, after dropping that bombshell they hand her a wand and head off on a world cruise. Now Kristin’s uncomplicated life as a CPA in San Diego has disappeared like magic and she not only has to deal with her burgeoning magical powers, but also a reluctant—and distractingly sexy—magical arbiter.

Tennyson Ritter is a historian. A scholar by choice, he is yanked from his studies to act as arbiter for the newly chosen fairy godmother. He doesn’t want to waste his time with a woman who doesn’t know anything about magic or the magical world, but soon the beguiling Kristin draws him away from his books and into her life.
But before Kristin can hone her skills and pass the tests necessary to fully claim her powers, she and Tennyson must work together to defend the world – both magical and human – against those that would claim her powers for their own.


Leslie's Review:
Kristin Montgomery is completely shocked when her three aunts tell her that they and Kristin herself are fairy godmothers. Worse, they hand her a wand and leave on a world cruise! And when her unwilling yet hot magical trainer and judge, Tennyson Ritter, steps into her life, he wasn't much help. Despite that and before Kristin can control her powers and pass the tests to become a full-fledged fairy godmother, she and Tennyson must help each other fight a villain who wants to steal her magical powers for their own. This amusing paranormal romance takes place in a hidden magical world in sunny California complete with magical creatures.

The author sent us this book for review and I was hesitant at first but it surprised me--I ended up really liking this book! It was amusing and the characters' personalities in this book are very similar to some of the people I know in real life. I thought Kristin was likable, smart and quick and Tennyson a sweet guy despite the impatient, curt front he showed Kristin. I liked how the author told the story and wrote the book in the hero and heroine's voice and she had put life into both of them--by that I mean I love the characters and their imperfections and fears. I also found the characters' sarcastic and comic remarks amusing and I found myself smiling a lot. I thought the setting perfect for the lighthearted, comedic feel of the book as well.

However, I figured out who the villain was early on but he was creepy. The Wish List is the debut novel by Gabi Stevens and I thought it a great start to a new series. It's a typical romantic comedy type paranormal read but I haven't read many paranormal books with fairies so I thought this book refreshing to my usual vampires and werewolves. I am definitely interested in reading the next book. I recommend this book and I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

The Wish List will be released on April 27, 2010.

2 comments

  1. This sounds adorable! What a fun concept - a girl discovering she is, of all things, what all girls wish for.
    I'm totally going to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH! This is SO right up my alley! :D Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.