Leslie's Review: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

beautifulcreaturesHardcover: 576 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.
Language: English
ISBN: 9780316042673

Source of my copy: borrowed from my sister
Cover Image from: Hachette
Synopsis
There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.

At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.
In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Leslie's Review:
Ethan Wate can't wait until his last two years of high school is over so he can finally leave boring, old Gatlin County. Nothing changes or happens in Gatlin--or so he thought. Lately, he's been dreaming about a beautiful girl but he's never met met her and as he enters his sophomore year in high school, he is strangely drawn to this new girl named Lena Duchannes. Ethan does not know why all this weird stuff is happening but he's determined to find out. When he does, he found that Gatlin turns out to be something more than an ordinary, boring town...

Beautiful Creatures
takes place in the South and it has an interesting and dramatic plot, but wasn't as action-packed as I thought it would be. However, I did like how I got to really see how strong and powerful Lena's character was and I liked how her and Ethan's relationship developed and was tested to the point that it got really exciting. Overall, book had a similar feel to Twilight but with a better plot and a little better with the execution of the hero and heroine's relationship. Nonetheless, the hero and the heroine were very devoted to each other (especially the hero to the heroine which I guess is the opposite for Bella and Edward) and I was sort of overwhelmed by all that. I wish the authors could have done that better with Ethan and Lena having a stronger and a more mature relationship instead of the typical YA novel/Twilight-esque thing going on.

One of my favorite things about the book were the various places in Gatlin described in the book like Lena's home, the graveyard, and the Greenbrier plantation. I actually wished I could visit those places myself. I also admired the heroine Lena. I thought she was the perfect heroine for this type of book: beautiful, independent, strong, and intelligent. I especially admired her during the big action scene--she was truly powerful like a paranormal character of her kind should be. All in all, I enjoyed the book but I'm excited about the next one in the series. I give this book 3.5 stars out of 5.

Next book in the series:
beautifuldarkness



It comes out October 26, 2010.

2 comments

  1. I am reading this book now!! 500 pages!! Yikes. I am hoping it is so good that I will love every page. So far I am enjoying it!=)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.