Midnight Confession: Books to Movies

To Kill a Mockingbird was on TV last night and I ended up watching it from start to finish. It was a long movie and afterward I was too tired to do my weekly "books I covet" post but I'm glad I caught it. It's been a while since I've watched it but every time I do, it's feels like I'm watching it for the first time. It was the first time for Leslie and she enjoyed it too--well, when I asked her what she thought of it she said it was "good" and promptly went to sleep. I don't know if she really got the genius of that movie. It made me realize that Hollywood doesn't always get it wrong when they turn books into movies. To Kill a Mockingbird is one movie that was a really good adaptation as it captured the feel of the book.


mansfieldparkAnother book to movie adaptation I really like is the 1999 remake of Mansfield Park that stars Frances O'Connor as Fanny Price. There were a whole lot of plot changes in that movie from the book--one of the biggest change being the character of Fanny. The Fanny in that movie was vivacious and assertive unlike Austen's Fanny who was submissive and weak in constitution. I read somewhere that the Fanny in that movie is the Fanny we wished she was in the book and I agree. Austen purists might throw rotten tomatoes at me for this but I think this is a good example that not all plot or character changes Hollywood makes is bad. The reason I love this movie and can watch it over and over without tiring from it is because Fanny finally stands up for her self.

ellaenchantedDon't get me wrong! I'm not defending or absolving Hollywood from all book to film adaptations it has done because they had (and will continue to) done some very BAD ones. I will never forgive them for butchering Ella Enchanted. I screamed and wept when I saw what they did! They should've titled that rotten potatoes of a movie something else because all they kept was the main characters' names! I could list many more books to movies they got wrong but the book Ella Enchanted was a personal favorite so that movie disappointed me the most.

I can list more movies based on books I liked well enough but with the late hour I won't. What feature film based on a book are your favorites? Or least favorite? I'd love to know! :)

**No infringement intended. Click on an image and it will take you to where I found it.**

4 comments

  1. I've never seen the adaptation of To Kill A Mockingbird, but I'm with you - I totally loved the movie adaptation of Mansfield Park. Even if it mega strayed.
    And Ella Enchanted - so depressing how much they destroyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can recall being young and watching Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird with my dad...oh. Loved it.


    The first well-done movie adaptation that comes to mind is Revolutionary Road. The book by Richard Yates is one of my favorites, and I read it right before going to see the film (starring Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio). I felt like a student again, sitting with my best friend comparing and contrasting the two for hours over coffee. Yes, they were slightly different, but Kate Winslet's April was a wonderful take on the character. Highly recommend both the book and the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read Mansfield Park but I LOVED the film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never watched To Kill A Mockingbird or Mansfield Park, but now my interest is peaked. Your comments about Mansfield Park reminded me of the Confessions of a Shopaholic movie. While I had rather enjoyed the book, I found the main character a little irritating and the male character rather distant, but in the movie both these characters were a lot more likable. So occasionally the movie can be more enjoyable then the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.