Tuesday, March 23, 2010

practicemakesperfectPaperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Berkley
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0425226743

ISBN-13: 978-0425226742
Source of my copy: I bought it
Cover Image from Amazon
Synopsis
When it comes to the laws of attraction...
Payton Kendall and J.D. Jameson are lawyers who know the meaning of objection. A feminist to the bone, Payton has fought hard to succeed in a profession dominated by men. Born wealthy, privileged, and cocky, J.D. has fought hard to ignore her. Face to face, they’re perfectly civil. They have to be. For eight years they’ve kept a safe distance and tolerated each other as co-workers for one reason only: to make partner at the firm.
...there are no rules.
But all bets are off when they’re asked to join forces on a major case. At first apprehensive, they begin to appreciate each other’s dedication to the law—and the sparks between them quickly turn into attraction. But the increasingly hot connection doesn’t last long when they discover that only one of them will be named partner. Now it’s an all out war. And the battle between the sexes is bound to make these lawyers hot under the collar . . .


Michelle's Review:
Practice Makes Perfect was my first read from Ms. James and it certainly won't be my last! I absolutely adored this book! It was written in a witty, fun way that kept me reading through the night and laughing out loud. I absolutely love the banter and sexual friction between Payton and J.D., who were both lawyers working in the same firm. They were definitely one of the best "opposites attract" couples (Payton being a vegetarian liberal with a hippie mom and J.D. being a conservative from an affluent family) I've read in a while. Not that they're complete opposites: both are hard-working, at the top of their class, intelligent and perfectionists. Payton and J.D. have also been quietly at war for eight years but their silent battle came to a head when they were both up for partner and there was only one slot. Hijinks ensues of course, complete with pranks that made me laugh out loud! Before long, they both realize what they'd been denying for years--that they're attracted to each other and when they finally get together, I gave a happy sigh.

I liked Payton from the start but I wasn't sure of J.D. in the beginning because he was a bit of an a-hole. But as the book went on, he's an a-hole you can't help but like because beneath that exterior is a guy with heart. My favorite part of the book was when J.D. was asking his best friend Tyler for advise about his feelings for Payton and Tyler based his advise on Pride and Prejudice. That bit was awesome--I even read it out loud to Leslie (who didn't quite get it because that sucker still haven't read P and P yet!). This book is a definite must read! It reminded me how good a contemporary romance can be. For me, it was one of those books that after I read the last page, I want to re-read it all over again because I didn't want to leave the characters just yet. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars for a very satisfying read.

Here's hoping the author will revisit Payton and J.D. in a future book as secondary characters? Or better yet, write a sequel to Practice Makes Perfect?

5 comments:

  1. This must be an interesting read since you gave it 5. and i think i will like it too.great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my Kindle and hope to read it in the near future. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear such good things about James, and the style sounds like something I so would enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree this is a great romance.
    James has a new book out "Something about you", my humble opinion is that it's not half as good as "Practice Makes perfect."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.