Monday, March 15, 2010

doubleplayPaperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Berkley
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0425228681

ISBN-13: 978-0425228685
Source of my copy: I bought it
Cover Image from Amazon
Synopsis
Getting to first base is a cinch...But getting home will take a grand slam...
Pace Martin is the ace pitcher for the Pacific Heat. He's got the arm, the experience, and the wins. He's also got the pain, the pressure, and the possible end of his career looming over him. The last thing he needs now is a distraction, even if it comes in the form of a tough, beautiful, tell-it-like-it-is writer who sees past his defenses.
Holly Hutchins knows a good story when she sees one, and the tall, dark, and slightly attitude-challenged Pace Martin fits the bill. But when she realizes there's more at stake than just a win, she starts to see the handsome, broad-shouldered jock in a different light.
Pace and Holly begin a seductive game, but in the face of unexpected betrayal and challenges, they'll have to find the courage to swing for the fences...


Michelle's Review:
Double Play is book one in Jill Shalvis's Pacific Heat series and I may have found my go to author for fun contemporary romantic comedy reads in Ms. Shalvis. Pace was one of those heroes where after I read the book and I wanted a Pace of my own. There's something about him that is not like other heroes I've read--he's not your typical alpha but he's no beta hero either. He was an MLB pitcher for the Santa Barbara Pacific Heat and hot, sexy, smart and his team's ticket to a winning season. He was paired with Holly Hutchins, a reporter who has a reputation for exposing secrets from any assignment she takes. I liked Holly--she was outspoken, tells it like it is and does what she wants to do with no apologies. However, she had her principles when it came to her job and wasn't underhanded about it. I thought these two were well matched: both had a crappy childhood, both believe that their job was the only thing going for them and both were loners in their own way. There was great chemistry between them and great dialogue and flirting between the two. These two had some issues to work out especially the trust issue because Holly was out to uncover the truth about a possible drug scandal within Pace's team.

My biggest concerns going into this book was the whole baseball thing. I'm not a baseball fan at all so I went into this book wary that it'll be bogged down with baseball facts but it wasn't at all. It actually focused more on the ups and downs of a glitzy celebrity life of a professional baseball player, which was fine with me and was actually an interesting read. The thing that I found unbelievable was how secretive the group of boys Pace coaches were that a freakin' celebrity was coaching them every weekend and giving them free stuff. I mean these are young kids and they'd want to feel important and what better way than tell everyone and everything that they're chummy with a pro pitcher for the hottest MLB team in the country! I also don't see the boys caring too much about Pace's love life either. These didn't take away from the story but it did raise my eyebrows.

A great read all in all with a likable hero and heroine, a good cast of secondary characters and with an equal amount of fun baseball silliness (crazed fan, baseball superstitions) and reality (drug scandals, injury) which makes for a perfect weekend read. I'm definitely going to be reading the next book in the series and more from Ms. Shalvis. I give this book 4.25 out of 5 stars.

Other book in the series:
slowheat

4 comments:

  1. I won Slow Heat so I read that one not knowing there was a book before it...I really liked it. I'm getting ready to start Double Play next and then maybe try some of her other stuff.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your review and since I love baseball I'm moving this up my tbr list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this book was good and I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it as well. I think you'll love Slow Heat as well so hurry up and read it! I'm itching to see what you think.

    Shalvis writes fantastic contemporaries that never fail to make you want more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.