Leslie's Book Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain

DarkDivineHardback: 372 pages
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Language: English
ISBN-10:
1606840576
ISBN-13: 9781606840573
Source of my copy: I bought it
Cover Image from GoodReads
Synopsis

Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.

The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.

The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul.


Leslie's Review:
Grace Divine, a daughter of the local pastor, thought that she will never lay eyes on her brother's ex- best friend Daniel Kalbi again until the day she finds him sitting in her art class! Soon, Grace learns what happened between her brother Jude and Daniel and has to make a choice: give into her growing attraction to Daniel or stay loyal to her brother. The plot is very exciting and surprising. It gets kind of scary between Daniel and Jude and when Grace makes a sacrificing choice, but also gets surprising when you read something unexpected about Jude. All in all, this book was intriguing and had an action-packed plot. What I loved most about this book was that it had a sort of mystery. Grace gained information little by little throughout the book until she got the full story. It was a great way to build up to the plot and find out the truth about what happened between Jude and Daniel.

I also liked the complicated romance between Grace and Daniel especially because of the tension between Jude and Daniel. Grace's confusion and choices served a huge part in it because although she tried to stay loyal to her brother, she couldn't deny her feelings for Daniel. I also liked how Daniel confessed his feelings for Grace and became very protective of Grace.

For me, the beginning was kind of slow. It could have been because after I had read Leviathan, I was still thinking about that book. I also sort of got annoyed how Grace thought it was her duty to change and make Daniel "better" and use his abilities like a hero to help people--but that might be just me. I recommend this book to anyone who loves an exciting, surprising, and heart-racing plot and a complicated romance between a hot, protective/sweet and maybe dangerous guy and a caring, innocent and kindhearted girl. I give this book 4.75 stars out of 5.


**Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. My review is based on my own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

7 comments

  1. Ooh! A love triangle! I've been wanting to read this, and now I want to read it even more, as I am so all about the love triangles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review :) I'll be reading this one soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I've been wanting to read this book for a while now! Definitely going to go pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I've been seeing this book around but I don't think I've actually read any of the reviews. It sounds pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! i love the cover so much that i thought i'll love the book too. (never read it yet). thanks for your review.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great book-- I enjoyed the mystery and the love story with Daniel and Grace. I can't wait for the Lost Saint to find out more. Thanks for your review.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.