Saturday, February 20, 2010

Hardcover: 440 pages
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Language: English
ISBN-10:
1416971734
ISBN-13: 9781416971733
Source of my copy: borrowed from local library
Cover Image from GoodReads
Synopsis

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.
Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.
With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.


Leslie's Review:
When Aleksandar Ferdinand's, the prince of Austria-Hungarian, people turns on him, he runs away with four loyal men who helped to protect him from the terrible war arising. Then, you'll meet Deryn Sharp who was preparing for her test to be part of the British Air Service and disguised as a boy. Their countries are part of a great war between the Clankers (large iron machines supplied with "guns and ammunition") versus the Darwinists ("fabricated animals" used for defense). Alek was sided with the Clankers and Deryn with the Darwinists. The plot was very exciting--filled with the action of war, the growing friendship of Alek and Deryn, and staying alive and protected. Overall, I really liked this book for its adventure and how the two main characters become friends even though they are from opposing sides.

Westerfeld wrote back and forth from Alek's point of view to Deryn's every two chapters. I thought that Deryn's chapters seemed more exciting and her character was smarter than Alek's. Alek would make mistakes that puts him in danger because then someone would find out his true identity while Deryn would think fast and plan to get herself out of her sticky situations. However, Alek had his brave moments and they were equally enjoyable to read as well.

The character I admired the most was Deryn. I liked how brave, aware, smart, fast and she thinks like a soldier. It made me wish I had those qualities. But in the book you'll also see Deryn's girly side and you'll understand when you read the book. About the friendship between Alek and Deryn, I liked how they made promises to each other for their own protection in the war and they trusted each other when they were on opposing sides! They both kept those promises no matter what danger it may put them in and that was a great read because I always enjoy a good friendship story.

The pictures by Keith Thompson were totally amazing and adds to the awesomeness of the book. For me, it helped me imagine what is going on in the story and how the author wanted it to play out in your head.

Overall, this book deserves 5 out of 5 stars. I can't wait for the next book!


**Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from my local library. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

10 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of other books by Scott Westerfeld which were awesome so I will definitely be adding this to my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! This book sounds very interesting!!!

    I have one question.... does it seem like there may be a romance brewing if the books were to continue.

    I am a huge sucker for romance but like you.... I enjoy a great friendship tale as well!!=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this book and I'm glad you enjoyed it too! I can't wait for the next one to come out now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this book! I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Trillian711 Great! I promise you'll love it too!

    @Chasity Yeah, probably. Here's hoping!:)

    @Emily I know! I hope it'll be as exciting as this one.

    @Pepper Ink I hope you like it as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dying a bit inside cos I really want to read this one! Hopefully I can soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good review! I have this book on my TBR and hope to read sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really?! 5 out of 5! I have to move this up my tbr list. Thnkas for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I've been wanting to read this book! Now I really want to read it!

    I just started a Ning network for people who love YA books. If you'd like to join, that would be awesome!

    http://readingteen.ning.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.