Books I Covet: Ice by Beth Durst and Wake by Lisa McMann

Why I want to read them: I've been coveting a lot of YA books lately and I discovered these two from the blog reviews. I especially want to read Ice because it's based on one of my favorite fairytale "East of the Sun, West of the Moon." I also included Wake because I'm a sucker for series books and this one sounds interesting and scary/creepy.

iceBlurb:
When Cassie was a little girl, her grandmother told her a fairy tale about her mother, who made a deal with the Polar Bear King and was swept away to the ends of the earth. Now that Cassie is older, she knows the story was a nice way of saying her mother had died. Cassie lives with her father at an Arctic research station, is determined to become a scientist, and has no time for make-believe.

Then, on her eighteenth birthday, Cassie comes face-to-face with a polar bear who speaks to her. He tells her that her mother is alive, imprisoned at the ends of the earth. And he can bring her back -- if Cassie will agree to be his bride.

That is the beginning of Cassie's own real-life fairy tale, one that sends her on an unbelievable journey across the brutal Arctic, through the Canadian boreal forest, and on the back of the North Wind to the land east of the sun and west of the moon. Before it is over, the world she knows will be swept away, and everything she holds dear will be taken from her -- until she discovers the true meaning of love and family in the magical realm of Ice.

Ice is out in stores. Here's a link to the author's website for more info.

*******

wakeBlurb:
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant...

Wake is out in stores. Here's a link to the author's website for more info.



"Books I Covet" is a new weekly or bi-weekly blog post series I am going to be doing here.
It will feature books I am very excited about reading and plan on buying/borrowing in the near future. It is similar to the "Waiting On" meme hosted by Jill of Breaking the Spine. However, some of the books may already be published and others may still be in pre-order. I will include the books' blurb, cover art, and/or release date if they're available. Click on the WoW image on the left to join in!




Don't forget to enter our 100th Post Giveaway where you can win: greatterriblebeauty OR somethingblue

6 comments

  1. I recently read Sun and Moon, and Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George which is a retelling of the Norwegian fairytale East of the Sun, West of the Moon. Ice looks as if it uses some of the elements of this fairytale too. I will have to read it to compare and contrast it to Jessica Day George's You might like that one too.

    Wake interest me too. I love psychic thrillers.

    Great choices and I am glad to here Ice is in the stores I will definitely look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so feel you on the coveting YA books lately, I'm in the same boat! I would totally enter your contest but I have both of those books, pooey! I just haven't read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind reading Wake. Here's Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jan thank you for the rec! i'd love to hear your thoughts on ice if you read it before me :)

    @wena i'd love to see what you have your lined up on bookshelf! a few days ago you didn't know what to read next--you finally decide on a book?

    @juju & @lori thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read and loved both of these. They're so different in terms of how they're written but both have amazing love stories. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.