Midnight Confession: Project 20 Books Update & An Annoucement to the World

Before I begin, I just want to say I'm sick. I'm very congested and my head is all fuzzy so I don't know if this post is going to make much sense but here we go...

Project 20 Books Update
If you read my post a week ago, you know that New Year's resolution/challenge is not to buy any books either until I've read 20 of the books sitting on my shelf or until April 1, 2010 and only then can I purchase a book with my own money. And let me tell you, it is hard! After I announced my plan to undertake this challenge, I'm constantly coming across books I want to buy and have on my shelf. However, I've been good so far as I've already read three books this year (17 more to go!) and I haven't bought any books in 2010. A book did arrive in the mail this week from Amazon but I bought it in December 2009. I finally got all my book orders from last year and now, all I have to do is read them.

Confessions of a Book Junkie is doing this challenge with me! Here is her first post and she's calling her challenge Down Came a Blackbird (it a bigger challenge than mine!) and her second post (check out her awesome mountain of books! I wish I own some of those titles...).

Other bloggers also said they want to join in on this challenge--if you made a blog post please leave me a link in the comments. I'd love to read your own personal "Project 20 Books" challenge and I'll edit this post and add your links as well.

An Announcement to the World
I've been keeping this secret dream close to my heart for a while (yes, I'm a bit secretive) but here it is: I want to work in publishing. I'm a teacher right now and the students are great and I'm quite happy but books have always been my first love and my passion. I want my career to be about books.

Okay, you're probably thinking, so what Michelle? I care because... Well, you probably won't care and that's okay.

However, I've been exchanging emails with an awesome individual who works in the industry for many years and who has been very, very nice enough to answer all my questions as well as give me sage advise on how I can take steps to make my dream into an actual career. One of the things she told me was to begin networking now by telling everyone I know of my plans to pursue a career in publishing and so I'm telling you, members of the book blogging community who is reading this now, in the hopes that maybe one of you knows someone who knows someone in the industry. I just want to get my name out there and if you can point me in the right direction in any way I'd be very grateful.

Have a happy reading week everyone! Don't forget to enter the giveaway going on now (it ends in less than two weeks--which also means I'll be 23 years old in less than two weeks!). Here are just some of the books you can win:

lucan musthavemoonlight rememberme seducesinner untamed



Go here and enter!

6 comments

  1. Hey, awesome goal. I have a similar one this year, but I've not been nearly as definite with it.

    As I said, I have the same compulsion, as I'm sure many avid readers do, and I've been really good so far. Four down so far this year and I'm on my fifth - all owned prior to 2010! Sadly I have bought 2 books, but that was with Christmas gift cards so that doesn't count right? :)

    Bryce
    seaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I hope you will make it there one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. @seak no, books bought with a giftcard doesn't count--at least not to me! good luck with your own reading goal :)

    @Blodeuedd thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome goal. I'm not as brave as you but I wish you all the luck getting that TBR pile down. I know all about that pile, mine is ridonkulous!

    And also, good luck with your dream to pursue a career in publishing. Do you want to be a writer, an editor, a publicist? What kind of job are you looking toward? How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great challenge, and one I should probably take on as well, considering how many I have that I've never read. Though it's so hard when I keep reading about all these interesting sounding books on the various book blogs that I follow.

    I've always wanted to work in publishing as well, particularity from the marketing angle. But I had to give up this dream when I moved to Israel, exchanging one dream for another. I wish you luck in pursuing a career in publishing!

    Simcha

    ReplyDelete
  6. @rowena thank you! i'm very excited to get started unfortunately i can't until next year b/c of finances but definitely a goal i'm VERY determined to reach. i'm looking into going either in marketing or editorial.

    @simcha the whole not buying books is hard. i'm surprised i haven't broken yet but i'm very set on succeeding with this challenge. and thank you! maybe someday you'll still achieve your dream even in israel? good luck to you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.