Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0439023491
ISBN-13: 978-0439023498
Cover Image from Suzanne Collin's Website
Source of my copy: our local public library
Synopsis (from GoodReads)

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.


Michelle's Review:
For those who haven't read The Hunger Games should hold off reading this book, which is the second in the series, because I think you'll appreciate Catching Fire more if you knew what went on in the first book.

That being said, the "revenge" the synopsis was talking was in the form of the Quarter Quell, which the 75th anniversary of the Hunger Games. Katniss and Peeta are back in the arena as it called for all the past winners of the games to fight each other to the death. I felt that this book wasn't as fast-paced and it didn't grab me as much as The Hunger Games did but it wasn't any less gripping and the writing is still fantastic. I didn't cry this time around but I still stayed up way too late in the night reading it.

Katniss in this book is still the kick-butt heroine we all got to know and care about in the first book. All the characters in the previous book are back, including Peeta who I feel balances Katniss out and therefore her perfect match... Go Team Peeta!! Gale also has a bigger part in this book and unquestionably cements the third point in the Peeta, Katniss and Gale love triangle that is sometimes a frustrating read (I hate love triangles!). In this book, we get to know a lot more about certain characters' past, meet new ones that will definitely play a large part in the third book and learn more about the world the characters live in.

The book ended with a very intense yet vexing cliffhanger. It just leaves you hanging and my first thought was "NOO!!! I have to wait seven months book three!" I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

See my review of The Hunger Games (the first book of the series) here.


Leslie's Review:
This book begins where the last left off. Katniss and Peeta are back in District 12 and living should be living the easy life of the Hunger Games champions. However, because of their act of defiance in the games they had sparked a rebellion against the Capitol. President Snow, who rules over the whole of Panem, pays Katniss a personal visit. He knew that Katniss was faking her feelings for Peeta and holds her responsible for the growing rebellion. He threatened to kill her family and her best friend Gale if she fails to convince the people of the districts that they were really in love during their Victory Tour.

Catching Fire was as intense and exciting as Hunger Games. It was also a book full of surprises (I didn't expect Peeta and Katniss would be back in the games) and I absolutely love the unexpected twist and turns. I also liked the whole love triangle between Peeta, Katniss, and Gale as opposed to my sister. I think it adds more drama between the characters and it makes you wonder who Katniss will pick (but like my sister I hope she'll pick Peeta because he's perfect for her).

Hmmm... all in all I want to give this book five stars like I did Hunger Games but it doesn't feel right. Although this book was really good, there's something "missing" from it that was in the first book. I give it 4.9 stars out of 5.

See my review of The Hunger Games here.


**Disclaimer: We borrowed this book from my local library. Our review was based on OUR own experiences with the book and only share our honest, unbiased opinions. We NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether we liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

3 comments:

  1. My sister is reading this series right now and loving it. Too bad she lives in Colorado so I can't borrow them. I'm much too cheap to buy them in hardcover so I must wait. *sigh* But I want to read these, they're definitely on my list.

    Thanks for the reviews guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol i'm too cheap to buy hardcover too! i got this for the holidays so i was really happy! you must read the hunger games--it's the new harry potter series for me as i'm completely hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this wasn't as special as The Hunger Games. But still good. Great reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.