Friday, January 29, 2010

Paperback: 249 pages
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Language: English
ISBN 10: 0395071143
ISBN 13: 978-0395071144
Cover Image from Houghton Mifflin
Source of my copy: borrowed from school
Synopsis (from GoodReads)
A high-spirited teenage girl rebels against the narrow-minded ways of Puritan Connecticut and befriends a lonely old woman who is subsequently accused of being a witch. "Strong plot, fully realized characters, and convincing atmosphere distinguish this historical narrative."--Booklist.

Leslie's Review:
My English class has finally finished reading The Witch of Blackbird Pond and I figured I might as well write a review for it.

I don't read many classic books but this one was really good. I loved the plot, setting, and characters of the book (though Judith Wood sort of annoyed me). The plot was very exciting and made me feel for Kit. And the author did very well climbing up to the conflict while staying within the time period and the people's beliefs back then.

Which brings me to the setting of the book. I liked how it was set during the time America was controlled by Great Britain. It went with our learning about that time period in history in social studies when we were first began to read it. It made it more understandable and easier for me to imagine what was going on in the book.

Most of all, I loved the different characters in the book. I liked how the author modeled the characters to fit how they were accorded to live. But, overall, my favorite character of all was Mercy. She was so patient and caring, sometimes I wished I had her qualities. I was glad the author included Mercy. Mercy really evened things out with her sister's character Judith. She was my least favorite. I didn't like how self-confident and self-centered she was. She always thought the guy she liked also liked her and assumed he was just shy. But, overall, Judith was very entertaining in the book because she added drama.

Lastly, I really liked the love triangles of the book. I always like love triangles in books and looked forward to reading those parts. I especially liked the ending when everyone ended up with their perfect match. I give this book 4 stars out of 5.

**Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from school. My review is based on my own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this book when I was younger and loving it. I think it was one of the first fantasies I ever read. I'm glad you enjoyed it

    Simcha

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.