Sunday, January 10, 2010

Our blog has gained so many followers (**thank you so much for following!**) lately, since my last review so I'm going to introduce myself first. My name is Leslie (**hi!!**) and I just turned 13 last November. I read young adult books and will be reviewing them here. I think many of our new followers read romance, so I hope you don't mind my YA reviews. Also, sorry in advance because I know I'm going to be making lots of spelling and grammar mistakes. :)

Hardcover: 480 pages
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Language: English
ISBN-10: 015206396X
ISBN-13: 978-0152063962
Cover Image from Kristin Cashore
Source of my copy: borrowed from my local public library
Synopsis (from Harcourt)

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight—she’s a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king’s thug.

She never expects to fall in love with beautiful Prince Po.

She never expects to learn the truth behind her Grace—or the terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.

With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.

Leslie's take on Graceling: (for Michelle's review of this book click here)
Finally! It feels like it's been a while since I did a review. There are a couple of spoilers in this review and they'll be in this color. So, if you haven't read the book please skip the maroon parts.

Graceling was full of adventures, lots of action, and fast-paced. I very much liked the relationships between the various characters, especially Katsa and her cousin, Raffin's. I liked their relationship because it was very brotherly/sisterly and I got to see Katsa's warm and friendly side with him because she was mostly killing people in the beginning. I also liked the various settings in the book and I thought they were described really well. Like when the author described the feel and look of the open ocean when Katsa saw it for the first time and when she first saw the kingdom of Lienid--that was described so vividly and beautifully that I wished I was there with her.

The thing that disappointed me and kind of shocked me, though, was how Katsa and Po agreed to just being lovers. The was really unexpected and something I'm not used to reading. The next sentence is a spoiler so please skip to the next paragraph and don't read it if you haven't read the book: when I was reading the last couple pages of the epilogue, I was worried that since they decided not to get married, they might open themselves up to other people (which I don't want to happen because I think they're perfect for each other!).

I was also sort of annoyed by Bitterblue's character. I just can't get over how a ten-year-old could act so mature and I was pretty surprised that she didn't even cry or have some kind of reaction when Katsa told her that her mother died. I was comparing myself to her a little bit so my reaction would be really different. Hmm... now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the reason why she was so mature was because of the years she had to endure with her evil, manipulating, sick father. I really hated his character!

Overall, I give this book 4 stars.

**Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from my local library. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

6 comments:

  1. I identified myself writing with yours, though you're so much organized than me. I'm still starting this thing of having a blog and my reviews aren't the best yet. I hope to improve them while writing over and over again until I get it the way I see other people's reviews. I pretty much enjoyed your review on Graceling. It made me will to read this book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review :) I gave this book five stars, myself, but I do understand where you're coming from. I am excited for the sequel, Bitterblue, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen so many lovely reviews of this book, and yet here I am, still not read the book :( One day, I'll be bitten by the bug and I will read it, but till then my huge shaky TBR calls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it the way I see other people's reviews. I pretty much enjoyed your review on Graceling. It made me will to read this book. Thanks!

    lingerie parties

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was a little disappointed that Katsa was so adamant about not marrying. On one hand, she is young and many girls think like she does because they simply aren't ready for the M word. What made me sad was that she was willing to make Po unhappy and use him...at least that's how I read it. Instead of seeming independent, Katsa felt selfish to me. I know it's the 21st century and all but I couldn't get over my disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt Katsa's constant "I don't want to get married thing was getting annoying. After the first time, I got it, but it was just annoying and detracted from the story. There was so much time spent on it...

    I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I love that Katsa is a pretty kick butt character, but there were times when she just fell apart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.