Reading Into the New Year Challenge

I've decided just now that I am going to participate in the Reading Into the New Year challenge, hosted by Kristen of Bookworming in the 21st Century.

Here's a little something about it (taken from her blog): "Reading into the New Year!! Whether you start five minutes before midnight or hours before, you can join me in Reading into the New Year. If you have kids, you can even involve them by reading them a picture book or having the family join you. The point is to read as it turns from 2009 to 2010. Whether it's just a half hour or 5 hours.

Easy enough, and I have one more book that I want to read before the clock strikes 12 midnight on my part of the world. Right now it's 9:38 PM and I am going to start reading at 10:15 and into 2010!!

I'm planning to finish Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I'm on page 404/471 and it's relatively quiet in my house, except for the fireworks outside so I'm confident I'll finish. I'll come back and update this post later tonight...

I failed this challenge.

It was going well at first. I was reading and thinking how cool that Hawaii is one of the last places on earth to ring in the New Year and while everyone already celebrated and their party is dying down, we still starting to party here
...

I came to at 12:32 (I looked at my alarm clock on the side of my bed), my reading lamp was still on, my book laying faced down next to my pillow the corners poking my cheek, and I realized I failed. I was so sad but I went back to sleep thinking Graceling was my last read of 2009 and my first for 2010 tomorrow. And I am definitely, for sure going to finish it today and will review it soon!

New Year Read-a-Thon Wrap Up
Although I read a whole lot before the Reading into the NY challenge, I officially began the challenge that night & that's where I'll start my wrap-up.

Reading into the New Year Challenge: 30 minutes (only read till around 10:45-ish--failed the challenge)
January 1: 2 hours (finished Graceling by Kristen Cashore)
January 2: 4 hours (started Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins)
January 3: so far only only 2 hours (I hope to finish CF today)
+ read an additional 3 hours but was too tired to read the last 5 chapters of CF
January 4: 2 hours (finished CF and at 6:30 am before getting ready for work!)

3 comments

  1. Glad you joined me! I hope you enjoyed Graceling. Her other book Fire is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Hawaii is my most favorite place, I was thinking of you when we celebrated New Year's. I live in Philadelphia and the difference is 5 hours. It's okay that you fell asleep. It happens to the best of us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.