Friday, December 11, 2009

Image from HarperCollins

The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Book Blurb (from the author's website)
If you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl—someone normal. Now my life has changed forever and I’m as far away from normal as it gets. I'm a living science experiment—not only can I see ghosts, but I can raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever. I’m running for my life with three of my supernatural friends and we have to find someone who can help us gain our freedom back before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.

So, I'm back to reading my usual genre. The Awakening is the second book in the Darkest Powers trilogy.

Chloe Saunders is on the run from the evil Edison Group. She finds out that she’s a scientific experiment and was genetically altered by these people who want to keep her hostage! But Chloe knows that these people are liars and that they just want to experiment with her. So, along with her three supernatural friends (a sorcerer, a werewolf, and a witch), they try to find a way to stop the Edison Group’s evil experiments “or die trying.”

This book really got me hooked. I finished it in three days, which was really fast--for me anyway. It began where the first book of the series, The Summoning, ended but I think this book was better because there was more suspense and excitement in this one. Chloe finally escaped the Edison Group and had to live in dirty abandoned houses to hide from them. Chloe had lots of creepy experiences that I really enjoyed reading (like when she was being attacked by zombie bats or finding a dead body in one of the houses they stayed the night in). She also had a little romance with Simon the sorcerer which was a cute read.

The thing I loved about this book was that Chloe was easy to relate to. For example, she kept on getting yelled and laughed at by her other two friends (the werewolf, Derek and the witch, Tori) and she felt offended and stupid--which is what I always feel whenever my friends that to me. Luckily, she has Simon to always cheer her up (now, if only I had a Simon to cheer me up!).

Overall, I give this book 4 stars. I really like how Kelley Armstrong writes and I can’t wait for the next one!

Here are the other books in the series. (FYI The Reckoning's release day is April 27, 2010.)







**Reviewed by Leslie**


**Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from the library. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

2 comments:

  1. What a great blurb! This book really has my interest! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously can't wait for book three! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.