Book Review: Lucan by Susan Kearney

Image from GoodReads

Lucan by Susan Kearney

Lucan is the first book in the Pendragon trilogy. It tells the story of Lady Cael of Pendragon and Lucan Roarke, a linguist from Earth. The book was set in the future when humans were no longer fertile. To save his people, Lucan had traveled all the way to a distant planet called Pendragon to find King Arthur's Holy Grail--mankind's last hope to save the people of Earth from extinction.
Cael was trained to be the High Priestess from very early age and she was given that honor because she was the only one who could dragonshape on Pendragon. She has been isolated from her family from an early age. Her people revered her they also fear her--it was forbidden to touch her and no one was ever to anger her or else death will befall them.

When Cael met Lucan she was very surprised to find someone who wasn't afraid to touch her and treated her like a normal person--they were instant attracted to each other. When they narrowly escape the fire excavation site it, became a cat and mouse game between the hero and heroine and the Pendragon military who were after the Grail and wanted to use it for evil means.

My Review:
I won this book from a blog giveaway and I was very excited to read it. This book was my first futuristic romance and I thought the book was decent. I'm not a big fan of the King Arthur legend, so the whole Grail thing didn't really interest me. However, the book was full of action and that kept me reading. The biggest thing that bothered me was how quickly Cael changed from a don't-touch-me-High-Priestess-ice-queen into a I-can't-get-enough-of-Lucan seductress (all within three chapters and with the time lapse of a little more than a day). I also didn't feel much chemistry between the two leads: for Cael, being the very isolated innocent she was... she kind of reminded me of a girl with her first boyfriend--delighting in the joy of finding someone who finally wasn't afraid of her touch and flirted with her and was attracted to her--floating on the wings of puppy love. But once the novelty of that new "love" wears off, she's in trouble. As for Lucan, he was okay but he wasn't special.

All in all, it was an okay read. It was the action-packed sci-fi, dragon fantasy elements that saved this book for me, and not the romance. From a previous post, I talked about how I couldn't wait to read the second book in the series (Rion), although I still want to read it, after reading this one I can wait.

I give this book 3 stars. (see my sidebar for my rating system)

Here are the other books in the series: (FYI: Rion is already out and Jordan will be released on 2/23/10)














**Disclaimer: I this book from a blog giveaway.
My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

No comments

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.