Sunday, December 6, 2009

Image from Logan Library, Utah

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

To take a break from vampires, ghosts and such, I read The Goose Girl. The story was based on the Grimm Brothers fairytale of a girl who became a goose girl before she became queen, but since I’ve never heard of that fairytale I read the story not knowing what to expect.

This book was about Ani (short for Anidora-Kilandra), the crown princess of the kingdom of Kildenree. Unfortunately, before her sixteenth birthday her father the king dies and her mother tells her of the treaty they have with the neighboring kingdom Bayern. The treaty was Ani’s betrothal to the crown prince of Bayern to ensure peace between their two kingdoms.

Ani then packs and began her journey to Bayern to meet the prince. Accompanying her were guards and Selia, her lady-in-waiting who ended up betraying her during their journey. Selia and the guards who believed that Selia should have been queen killed Ani’s faithful guards but she was able to escape into the forest.

At Bayern, Selia took the role of princess while Ani, who was in hiding, disguised herself as one of the workers that handle the geese in the palace grounds. As time went by, Ani made true friends and grew into her gifts and talents. She was able to count on her friends as supporters when she tried to tell the king of Bayern of her true identity—she told the king despite the fact that she doubted he’ll believe her.

The Goose Girl was the best book I’ve read this year! I haven’t read fairy tales in a long time and I’ve been reading way too many vampires and ghosts books. Reading this book had been refreshing. I liked the plot of the story because it was exciting. I liked how it wasn’t rushed. I liked the author’s patient voice in the telling of the story. I also really liked Ani’s character. She was patient, courageous, and determined—qualities I would love to have. I guess the lesson of the story was not to let your doubts hold you back.

I also liked Geric, the boy that Ani falls in love with. I liked how he was boyishly clumsy and yet cute. His personality reminds me of some of the boys I know in real life. His character made me laugh. I even liked Selia, the evil lady-in-waiting who was after Ani’s crown. I wasn’t expecting her to be the bad guy of the story because I really thought she was Ani’s true friend in the beginning. But when Selia began to betray Ani, I really hated her. I loved how a book can make me hate or love a character and that I root for a happy ending for Ani.

I liked everything about this book. I definitely recommend it to everyone.

I give this book 5/5 stars.

**Reviewed by Leslie**


**Disclaimer: I borrowed this book from the library. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing and reading this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

5 comments:

  1. Anidora-Kilandra - what an AWESOME name! I have been hearing some mega Shannon Hale praise lately - I won one of her books a while back, so I'll look forward to checking that out.
    The Goose Girl sounds fantastic! The best book you've read this year - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fairy tales, the old and the remade new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a quick little adventure just right for a break! I believe I have this one on my bookshelf, though I haven't read it as of yet...might be changing that here shortly. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is another one I really want to read. I have heard good things about this. The fact that you said this is the best book you've read this year really makes me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review Leslie! I like fairy tales too and this sound like a nice book especially for a break between vampires and ghosts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.