Book Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

(Image from Barnes and Noble)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies was the first science fiction book I’ve read in a long time and I didn’t realize it was one until I started to get into it, so I was a little confused in the beginning.

This book takes place in a world that evolved after the “Rusties-time” (which is the present time we are living in right now). In this world, people are born ugly, really ugly. At first they live with their parents as littlies for twelve years. Then, when they turn twelve, they start living in Uglyville dorms for four years. Once they’re sixteen years old, they go through this operation that turns physically pretty like everyone else as well as other characteristics like being stronger. After the operation, they live in New Pretty Town until they turn into middle pretties and then a crumblie (an old pretty person).

That’s exactly what Tally Youngblood is waiting for--to turn sixteen and become a new pretty and live in New Pretty Town where it’s parties all night and having fun. Tally is just weeks away from having that to happen. However, once she meets her new friend, Shay, she just might have to wait a little longer for that day to come. Shay doesn’t want to turn pretty but instead runs away. The authorities found out about Shay and give Tally a choice: either find her friend or never turn pretty.

I liked this book--it had great imagery because the author explained Tally’s world well. The book was really interesting and I love the conflict in the book: Tally’s choice between turning into a pretty (something she had wanted her entire life) or betraying a friend. I am reading Pretties right now, which is the next book in the series. It’s not as good as the first one but I’m only halfway in the book. I give Uglies 4 stars.

**Reviewed by Leslie**



**Disclaimer: This book was borrowed from my local public library. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

6 comments

  1. I just finished this tonight! I'm looking forward to reading Pretties.

    Nice review! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting concept! I will have to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't have time to read Uglies, you can get the cliff notes here http://cliffnotebooks.com/uglies-scott-westerfeld/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this on my to be read pile. I didn't realize it was sci-fi. I better bump it to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm on the fence about these books. It's not something I would normally read, but I read great reviews of this author's books quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed Uglies, Pretties, Specials but Extras..just didnt do it for me. I felt like one book too many a trilogy that became 4 books. I thought Scott had a very good idea witht he trilogy but Extras kinda bored me.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.