Review: The Earl Claims His Wife by Cathy Maxwell

Image from HarperCollins
Synopsis (from harpercollins.com):

She'll be his perfect wife . . .

Preoccupied with fighting Napoleon and making love to his mistress, Brian Ranson has ignored his wife since their wedding. But now that he's become the Earl of Wright, he's ready to fetch his bride back to London. He's shocked to find she's become a bold, beautiful woman, exactly the kind he lusts after . . . and she wants nothing to do with him.

Gillian, Lady Wright, is desperate to seize the love she's been denied . . . but not with her rakish husband! So she makes a bargain—for thirty days she'll be the perfect wife, then he'll set her free. But no matter how she hardens her heart against her damnable earl, her body begs her to surrender . . .

Rarely nowadays do I buy a book on a whim without first doing a little research finding out what other readers think of the book. I usually do my research on amazon.com because there I can read both numerous positive and negative reviews all at one place.

This book I discovered on Book Binge, this really awesome book blog focusing on the romance genre I frequent as they have many cool things going on there like reviews, author spotlights, giveaways, among other things. They were raving about it and because it features my all-time favorite romantic plot line (an estranged married couple finding second chance at love), I went and bought it at Borders the next day without doing the book research I usually do. **Yes, I finally found that book from a book blog!!

But you know what... I really enjoyed this book. It was a really fast and easy read was devoid of many unnecessary details (excessive details about dresses, furniture, mundane activities, etc.) that authors often add on as filler. I wasn't really into Brian the hero at first because what kind of jerk tells his wife after their wedding night that he loves his mistress and pretty much abandons her, right? But as the story went on, he redeemed himself to Gillian (and to me) especially with how he cared for baby Anthony. Gillian the heroine kinda annoyed me a little with how often she changed her feelings toward Brian and how quickly she got fell back in love with him even though she complained about his abandonment many times and she supposedly loved Andres the Spaniard. Despite all that I liked her as well. She was strong, independent and very caring. I think after all that she went through with Brian and then surprised by Anthony, her feelings were valid. I found myself rooting for both Brian and Gillian to make their relationship work and find their happy ending.

The reason why I didn't give it a more higher rating was because the love scenes were hardly there. Looking at the book's stepback cover you'd think it's a very spicy read, but it's not (for a quick giggle see it here). I mean I don't like chapter-long, dragged out love scenes (they get kinda boring and repetitive after a while), but in this book the two main scenes were only about a two paragraphs long, maybe three. Also, to me it ended kinda abruptly. I would have loved an epilogue.

I give it 3 stars. It's a good book overall and recommend it.

**Disclaimer: I bought this book with my own money. My review was based on MY own experiences with the book and only share my honest, unbiased opinions. I am NOT promoting or discouraging anyone from purchasing this book--whether I liked or disliked it. PLEASE use this blog only as a source and not the definite answer to your inquiries.**

2 comments

  1. These covers always crack me up. Usually the books are great, but the covers make them look so trashy...bleh

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. IMO if they made the covers not-so-trashy i think more people would pick up romance books more or at least be able to read them in public without a red face

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much to stopping by today and taking the time to comment.